Cameroon Scammers?

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Cameroon Scammers?

Postby Da Twista » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Something I found rather interesting, I use junkmail.co.za quite a bit and got two contacts yesterday emailed to me regarding snakes. One from a Deborah and another from a Kristin.

From Deborah, I have purposely left out my communications out due to my harsh insults and profanity but here is her responses.

Thanks for the mail, i have 4 snakes which i am willing to give out to anybody who can take proper care of them, i am presently located in the coast of Cam. where delivery of the snakes will take three hours to reach you
Regards
Debs

As soon as I saw coast of CAM I knew something wasn't right so I fished along to see what they all had to say.

Thanks to read from you Regarding these my snakes . Actually, i am giving out these lovely snakes for adoption because of my working condition, My working time table has been change so for that reason i have no time to care and love this babies,and again the person who made me to have this babies was my late husband and he passed away last 2 weeks so there is no one home to love and carter for them. for that reason i thought it wise to look for a good,caring and God fearing home that can provide the love and care for them that they deserved. They are 4 of them 2 Corn snakes and 2 Ball Pythons .They have been on a heart worm prevention and wormed and can be Handled by kids and adults often. They are well socialized with wonderful great personalities,I am just wanting new homes where They will be spoiled more than here as they will be a great addition to any family.They are little girls and boys every heart of any home will desire. i am presently in the coast of CAM . because of work.i will accept transportation provided they are going to a good home.. If you can get back with answers to the following question i will be grateful. -where are you located? -what is your occupation? -are you use to snakes? -do you have a vet that you will take the babies to if need be ? what is your phone number ? how many hours do you work ? are you a breeder ?
waiting to read back from you. God Bless You
Deborah

Thanks for the email and i am Glad to know that you are use to snakes . look , all i want is the well being of these snakes okay. If you can assure me that you will take very good care of them, then i will give them to you. Regarding the delivery of the snakes, it will take about 3-4 hours for the snakes to get to you. I have just contacted a delivery agency and they told me that the can carry on the delivery as soon as the snakes are registered. Just let me know how soon you will want the snakes so that i can proceed with the delivery arrangements. You will only have to pay for the delivery charge of the snakes to your home provided you are going to take very good care of them. This delivery agency i am about to use carries on home delivery, so that you will not have to go to the airport to received the snakes. They will be delivered right at your home address. Once the snakes have been registered for delivery, the delivery agency will contact you with all delivery details and tracking so that you will know exactly when the snakes will arrive so that you will stay home to welcome them. Thanks and i hope to read from you soon. If you happen to have any question, just let me know.
Best Regards.
Deborah

Thanks for getting back to me and also for the interest you have to take care of these snakes .The snakes will be coming along with their cages and all necessary papers. Please you have to reassure me that you and your family will take proper care of them . Once you receive the snakes, i will like that you keep me up dated. I just spoke with the delivery Agency and they told me the delivery charge of the snakes to your location is 460R
If every thing is okay , then we can start making arrangements for the snakes to be delivered to your home address as soon as you will want. The snakes will be deliver to your home address.
To get the delivery arranged, i will need the following details from you.

-your full name.............
-home address.............
-city...................
-postal code................
-and telephone number.............

when will you want the snakes to be Transported and delivered so that when making the delivery arrangement, it will be made against that day.
Once i receive the above details, i will contact the delivery agency. and thereof register the snakes and the delivery agency will contact you through email and by phone with all the delivery details so that you will know when to be home to welcome the new babies. The transportation cost of the 4 snakes is 460R including home delivery charges and that is all you are going to pay for the snakes .
As concerning the payment, the delivery agency will let you know how you will make the payment. But you will pay for the delivery directly to the delivery agency before they can proceed with delivery .
God bless you
Debs

The next response gets defensive as I offered to rather come and pick up the pets.

The snakes will be delivered to you by a pet Transportation company , they will come by flight, cameroon is far from cape town ok

I have everything already worked out, i have all the necessary papers for the babies to be delivered to your home

Now what do you make of this? I've worked for a classified company before and I've dealt with many scams and court cases but for the life of me I cannot figure out what these people are trying to scam or is this illegal trading of some sort?
Da Twista
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Cameroon Scammers?

Postby Da Twista » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:04 pm

This is from a Kristin:

Hello
I am glad for your interest in my snakes. I've attached some pictures to this email. there is also a price list attached to this email.
Kristin.Pythons that I have available for this season:

Albino Python: 150 €
Black Pastel: € 150
Blonde Pastel: € 170
Hummel: € 180
Butterball: 160 €
Caramel Albino: 190 €
Cinamon Pastel: € 160
Leucistic Python: 160 €
Phantom python (PP): 170 €
Piebald python (PP): 180 €
Pantsuit python (PP): 160 €
I am located in the British Cameroon, close to a small British island to London. it is only a few hours for the snakes of their choice to take. reach, and now I want the snakes of your choice to get you out of here. If we arrange for the snakes to start in the morning to be, then you'll get them in the afternoon at your airport or if you want delivered to your home, we will be for the snakes delivered to your home, agreed.

so the snakes you want to buy?
have you been afraid of snakes?
Are you buying the snakes for breeding or as pets.?
Nice week end and Regards

Kristin Molly.
Attached to this email was 22 images of different ball pythons.

Thanks for your mail once more, i already did the export permit two days ago, i have all pepper work for the snakes i can send to you so you can confirm your self.

If that is OK by you let me know so i can call my husband to scan and send to me now am still at work.

Best Regards

Kristin

Thanks for your mail once more No the export permit doesn't requires that at all, i had a client who wanted ma' King Snakes in Johannesburg we had the same problem of transporting them to S.A, which i did for him but he wasn't able to pay for what he required.

You, i did so many inquiry about it at the agency.

Regards

Kristin
Da Twista
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Da Twista » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:41 pm

lol, here is a nice fake CITES certificate she sent me.

Should I report this to Cape Nature?
Da Twista
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Nah the scam till she gets an R1 money gram
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby croteseeker » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:28 am

This confuses me a little...

Please forgive my ignorance, but what about this would make it a scam? Are you implying that they are selling wild-caught snakes? Or that they are importing illegal stock?

I'm not arguing, I'm just asking you to dumb it down for the stupid American. :lol:
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nbdreyer » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:54 am

Hi croteseeker,

Nope, non of your suggestions. Its a scam to get people to pay a deposit or freight charges for snakes that they will never receive....

And these scams happen with cats and dogs right through to exotic pets. If something smells fishy or if its too good to be true then its most likely a scam.

Anyone interested in a blue whale? I keep it in my back yard. You only have to pay freight charges of R1,000,000? Any takers?

Cheers,
Nico
nbdreyer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby croteseeker » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:05 am

Gotcha. Kinda like some of the Liberian and Nigerian scams that made their way over here. Thanks for the clarification. :)
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:57 pm

Yeah its a common scam. Just pay the freight or else buy snakes that dont exist. No legitimate dealer will advertise in the Junk mail.

When anyone tells you the snakes are tame or have been dewormed then its a scam. Keep asking them for photos and then you will see the pics are stolen from other sites.

Ask them for a trio of "Pantsuit pythons" and see what they say. Ask them if they have albino "Pantsuit" pythons because you will pay big money for that. If "Pepper work" means "paper work" then you know you have an idiot trying to scam you.

No Cites permits look like that either.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Da Twista » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:59 pm

nbdreyer wrote:Hi croteseeker,

Nope, non of your suggestions. Its a scam to get people to pay a deposit or freight charges for snakes that they will never receive....

And these scams happen with cats and dogs right through to exotic pets. If something smells fishy or if its too good to be true then its most likely a scam.

Anyone interested in a blue whale? I keep it in my back yard. You only have to pay freight charges of R1,000,000? Any takers?

Cheers,
Nico

That's the same thought I had in mind here, pay the delivery but there will be no delivery.

This is a very clever scam actually, reminds me of something similar where I got two individuals locked up.

There is a service on the popular chat IM MXit called Xchange. I was the administrator of this service since it begun until I left MXit last year. Now with all classified services you do get your people trying their luck.

Anyway, this particular scam was I thought quite clever, the person offers quite an oldish car in very good condition for a low price. This intrigues a huge userbase that will contact him. One would think he would ask for a deposit first, of course to secure the transaction but the person offered to bring the car to the potential buyers but they must cover the petrol money. The potential buyer then says that's fine, R100 is more than a bargain to get the car to him so he does the transaction at their local Checkers paypoint.

Now that R100 is a small amount, these two individuals walked away with up to a million rand scamming thousands of people before the police decided to act on the scene even though many cases of theft was opened.

I recall they got out on bail and were fined and some community service was required, wasn't even a month later and they were back at it.

Just goes to show, you don't need to scam a large sum of money, you just need the userbase to scam. Besides, not everyone will complain over losing R100 and go through all the effort to open a police docket and then try and convince the police to do their jobs. The SAPS here have no clue about the runnings of MXit or any social networking and IM services.
Da Twista
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions