Most Intelligent Snake

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Most Intelligent Snake

Postby Primogen » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi, I recently decided it was time to get a new snake.

Now I want to get a really intelligent snake, but I have very little experience in all the various species.
So in the end I'm asking what you all think is the most intelligent snake you have come across and why
you think it is so intelligent.

Also they should be easily available in the country.

Thanks
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Most Intelligent Snake

Postby gareth.hooper » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Something I think you won't go for and in my belief the smartest of snakes are Mamba's.
Just have to watch them to see that they have some level of higher thought process' going on, more than any other snake I know of.
gareth.hooper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Agreed gareth.

Mambas are definitely Smart..

Also I have had notices that retics are rather smart as well.. they get a certain confidence with age..
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:27 pm

Apparently Burms are quite smart. According to a guy my dad knew, he had a very aggressive Burm that would expand it's body to break the sides of the cages and would escape and proceed to do the same thing to the door. I don't know if this is true or if it is something similar to that story with the python that was measuring the guy with it's body.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby atropos » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:36 pm

What about rat snakes? It's amazing how they appear to watch your every move
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:47 pm

From what I've seen I'd say its either one of the Mamba / Cobra species. Elapids are definitely the smartest group of snakes IMO.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Yes Ratsnakes make you see a lot of personality :)
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Well I agree that Elapids are more intelligent than most snake because their further along the evolutionary chain.

I want to try stay away from hots and extremely large snakes at the moment so I'm thinking either a King Rat or
maybe a Taiwanese Rat snake, just to get me along the road to burms, retics and maybe eventually hots.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nineve » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:05 pm

Are you looking for personality or intellegence? And do you have a problem handling venomous snakes?
Crazy, not stupid...........
Nineve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Nineve wrote:Are you looking for personality or intellegence? And do you have a problem handling venomous snakes?

Both, but its your own opinion, I'm just looking for an interesting snake that will
always surprise me every time I interact with them, the internet can tell what the
smartest snake is(everything points to the King Cobra) but that’s only intelligence, so
I guess I'm looking for little bit of both in a snake that’s for intermediate keepers.

I really want an Indigo snake but they just aren't available here.

I have never handled any venomous snakes and don't intend anytime soon.
Maybe in the future when I’ve taken a course or two and feel ready.
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nineve » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:42 pm

What about a Garter snake? Not so much for handling, but they are very active, hungry little buggers. You can feed them anything from pinkies, fish to earthworms – even cat food meat sachets! But if you’re looking for personality and intelligence maybe you should consider reptiles? A Tegu monitor lizard will be a nice choice.
Nineve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nineve » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:42 pm

What about a Garter snake? Not so much for handling, but they are very active, hungry little buggers. You can feed them anything from pinkies, fish to earthworms – even cat food meat sachets! But if you’re looking for personality and intelligence maybe you should consider reptiles? A Tegu monitor lizard will be a nice choice.
Nineve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:01 pm

A Water snake is fun... You can make an very elaborate cage with half water.
Sadly King rats arn't here either.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scotty121 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:24 am

A baby boa? Very active and intelligent, don't get to big either.
scotty121
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:49 am

I've never kept Retics, but what I've seen from them and heard of them, is that are very intellegents snakes.

They are readily available with a not-too-high pricetag and if you like big snakes, this is the one for you.

Speak to Bushviper, he is the local Retic guy, he might even have some available.

Good luck.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Next

Return to General Discussions