Allergic to leopard geckos?

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Allergic to leopard geckos?

Postby Groenslang » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:49 am

Hey guys

The topic pretty much describes itself. I got an pair of het bells last year and from the get go, if the male walked on me I started to itch. Which isn't a real problem seeing that I don't see m geckos as dogs that need petting. I spot clean my cages weekly and then every 4 to 6 weeks I remove the floor tiles to clean out and "de-germ" (my english failed me on that one :lol:), anyway, last night after work was cleaning day. After I started to take out the decorations and tiles in the cage, my chest started to close, by the team I had finished sweeping and wiping down the bare cage I couldnt breathe at all. This is the first time that its happened to me. My chest still isn't 100% now.

Does anyone else have the same problem? My AFT cages doesnt do this to me, but then again they are kept on fake grass whilst the leos are kept on tile. Silently freaking out here!
The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi

Arno Davies
Groenslang
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Allergic to leopard geckos?

Postby Bushviper » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:34 am

I have never heard of this before. I suspect a mould might have grown in these cages and the geckos have this on their feet as well. Try handling someone else's leopard geckos and see if you still itch.

Get some antihistamines just in case your chest tightens up to the point where it becomes a medical problem. A major reaction could knock you down too fast to then only go looking for help.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to General Discussions