Alligator Gars and Piranha's

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Alligator Gars and Piranha's

Postby MISA » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:48 pm

We see them often on some fishing/ National Geographic channels, we see old Robson Green squealing like a girl when he hooks one, Who has ever seen them live and in the skin so to speak?

Curiously enough I found both these fish in one store, When I last looked I was sure these toothy beasts weren't "allowed" or should I say "permitted" in SA or have things changed somewhat?

Must say if they are in fact legal and I didn't enjoy my swimming pool as much as I did I would have them living the high life in my front garden... would be great for getting rid of unwanted housebreakers and other types of refuse?

Anybody have any idea of the legality's of these toothy piscators?
"I have absolutely NO tolerance for stupidity and self-inflicted pain borne out of the greed to gain at another’s expense."
(Made_In_SA 09)

1.0 -Matindane (WC)
1.0 -Mkhovu (WC)
1.0 -Tokoloshe (CB)
1.0.1 -Angasi (WC)
MISA
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Alligator Gars and Piranha's

Postby Bushviper » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:28 pm

KZN (Ezemvelo) are so set on destroying the pet industry in the province they forgot to police the system they have. As a result their incompetent and probably corrupt officials are allowing shipment to be landed in Durban which is illegal. Nobody there knows what to check for and as a result these fish, invertebrates and reptiles are entering South Africa. Possibly someone is paying a bribe as is normal for KZN at this stage it seems.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:46 pm

There are some lookalike species like Red-bellied Pacus.
Some experts can't even tell the difference.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun P » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:17 am

Most likely Pacus, as it_bit_me has stated. I have seen these in numerous fish/ pet stores. Looks exactly like the Red Bellied piranha, but not the meat eating type. These also grow huge. As you say Arno, there are a lot of corrupt individuals in the departments. I have been giving a list recently of what species of fish I am allowed to import, from DAFF. Alot of the stuff I see nowadays are illegal. But these guys are selling freely. Gars are everywhere, 99% of fish keepers don't even have the capacity to care for a fully grown alligator gar. But hey they want one, until they cannot take care of it no longer, then what...
Now how do we sift out these corrupt officials?
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby deleray » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Definitely Piranhas available and not Pacus. They had them for a while at Dragonfire along with Pacus. They guy would drop a handful of pinkies in the tank and they would devour them in seconds. Was a very cool little trick :) They went for R300 each.

They dont have them anymore.
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions