Air Transport Shipping Info

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Air Transport Shipping Info

Postby Cytotoxin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi All.

Recently shipped a couple of Rhino Vipers I bought in Pretoria to Cape Town via Air, and thought I put this up hoping it will help out anybody with some info and/or suggestions on how to go about it.

I applied for a import/transport permit from Cape Natcon and for those wondering, I got it within 24 hours. They have an express service that costs R200 and thought it was worth it. The amount of times I could have been caught and fined exceeding the speed limit on my bike, just nullifies the cost :lol:

Below are some images of the crate I made for the shipping of the animals.

I got the idea/guidelines for the crate from CITES:
http://www.cites.org/eng/resources/tran ... pGuide.pdf

Assuming you have all your permits and the crate has been prepared, you phone BdAir Cargo and make a reservation for when you want it transported. They will see which available flights there are and the book your transport. You have give them the dimensions of your crate and weight. After the booking is made, they give you a flight number (date and time departure and arrival) and the shipping charge. My shipping charge was R204 for a crate (330x330X200 - 7kg).

Hope this is useful to someone - it was a struggle to get to this point. As soon as you mention snake or reptile, people tend to act like hermit crabs. They just do not want to help.

Anyways, happy herping.

Cytotoxin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2.2.0 Corn snakes
1.1.0 Mangrove pit vipers
0.0.3 While lip tree vipers
1.1.4 Crested Geckos
0.0.1 Day gecko
Cytotoxin
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Air Transport Shipping Info

Postby Bushviper » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Next time use bubble wrap as a substrate so that they dont lie on the wood. Use crumpled newspaper and put lots of it on top of the bags that the snakes are in. This ensures that they dont hit the roof of the box if the plane hits an air pocket and drops. You can also staple the bags to the floor but with venomous snakes this becomes a bit of a risk.

If you use plywood it is a lot lighter and then a bit cheaper too.

Glad to see someone doing it right for a change.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Air Transport Shipping Info

Postby Cytotoxin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi BV.

Thanks for the info. They were in a tub with drilled holes and the tub was fastened to the floor. The requirement is to have your ventilated container inside a sling (like those snake catching bags), which is stapled to the floor of the box. Will remember your advice for future.

Thanks again.
2.2.0 Corn snakes
1.1.0 Mangrove pit vipers
0.0.3 While lip tree vipers
1.1.4 Crested Geckos
0.0.1 Day gecko
Cytotoxin
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions