Asian pet market

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Asian pet market

Postby ISZY » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Hey guys, as some of u might know i am in Hong Kong at the momentand thought I would show u some pictures I took at the market today. The main thing I saw at the goldfish market were flapneck and veiled chameleons, red eared sliders, map turtles, alligator snappers tortoises that were there included leopard, geometric, pancakes and others i couldnt identify and Japanese serrated marsh terrapins. What I thought was quite crazy was the conditions the animals were kept in. In some cases animals were shoved in cages without any moving space. Terrapins were kept without water. 50 chameleons shoved into one cage without any branches. Another thing I found interesting was their violent policy of no pictures. Even when I offered to pay to take a photo he threatened to break my camera. I did take some pictures and was chased out of the shop. Here are some pictures, hope u get the idea. Will be in Thailand next week. Will look for other markets there.
The depth of a man's soul
can not be measured in a matter
of meters and fathoms
but rather it is in my opinion
only quantified by his proximity
to heaven and hell.
ISZY
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Asian pet market

Postby ISZY » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Sorry guys need assistance in loading photos here with my iPad, keeps telling me my images are too large
The depth of a man's soul
can not be measured in a matter
of meters and fathoms
but rather it is in my opinion
only quantified by his proximity
to heaven and hell.
ISZY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:01 pm

They probably harvest the animals for food and medicinal purposes

At least Japan "loves" animals, and not like food
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:20 am

I was in Hong Kong last year. After all the stereotypes you hear about them eating dogs, I was pretty surprised to see how many dog parlours and dog hotels they have.

They seem to have big problems with photos, and we were chased away from a restaurant for trying to take pics of the ducks hanging in the window.

Leopard Tortoises are obviously not indigenous to China, so do you think they imported them because they believe they have certain medicinal purposes or have the become invasive there?

@ F1refly, just a question, if they harvest them for food, why do they need a variety of species?
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:36 am

@ Wadekilian: I wondered the same thing until I saw that episode of An Idiot Abroad, where he went to china. Variety is the spice of life, and in China, they eat most animals, and when they cook snake, they use every last bit of it. They've got restaurants there were they eat Highly Endangered Animals like King Cobra, Panda blah blah blah. Okay, maybe in this case it was merely a pet market, but it's not cool how they are treated.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions