Petshops

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Petshops

Postby lerikoen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:49 pm

Hi all

Was just wondering if there is any way to tell if a pet shop is worthwhile. I know there must be some that value their animals health, and know what they are talking about when they sell you a animal; but unfortunately there are also ones that really have no idea what they are talking about - or don't even care. I have been to one where they sell a snake as a male, then it turns out to be a female. Or one where the clerk tries to sell a young boy (around about 8) a boa as his first snake because (and I quote him) 'they are the easiest snake to start with'. Not to mention some not telling the person buying the snake that they will have to get a captivity permit for their reptile (necessary in Western Cape).

So, is there any way to tell quickly whether or not a pet shop will give you good service with regards to your animals - or will it take a couple of visits to gauge their quality? :)
lerikoen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Petshops

Postby scotty121 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:18 pm

I would think it you would be able to spot a bad petshop on the first visit. Just ask a lot of questions about the animal and its health, for example; How old is it, what temperature should it be kept at, etc but the most obvious question is ''how many times should I feed it'' if they say anything less than once a week, then you know its a bad petshop. Just do your research, ask questions and you find out.

I remember going into Creatures and Critters when I was about 7-8 years old, I wanted to get a yellow anaconda, but the guy working their led me to house snakes. He was well informed about my age and keeping snakes, that he let me buy a house snake, after that he told me everything I would need for it and I had that house snake for about two to three years before sadly it escaped and since we live on a farm, it got out. :(

Good luck.
If at first you don't succeed it won't hurt to smoke some weed, Dr Dre.
scotty121
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:31 pm

a Lot of people measure the amount of animals with the quality of the pet store, meaning if the store is big and has a 1000 animals it's better than the small one around the corner with 10 animals, most of the time it's the case but not always, I have a staff member that I'm really getting irritated with, he told a customer that corns are venomous just to catch a little lime light :smt013 , but at the same time I have other staff members that I don't have any hassles with, so if a customer come to the store and you meet the venomous corn guy, than automatically you're going to think that our store is a dump with no knowledge and a waste of time, but if you meet the other staff you figure out that this place isn't that bad, but due to staff that screw up, I have to suffer :smt022 , problem is I have suppliers, orders, maintenance, staff, centre management, accounts and so on to do, now a customer ask for me and the customer end up with a short answer and allot of people that don't know me think I'm very disrespectful or rude, which is not the case there's just not enough time for me to help like I should, so where do someone draw the line, I believe that it's not the pet store itself that's to blame, it's the staff, hang around and talk to a few staff members or salesman, and pin point an individual that you're happy with and always ask for that certain individual.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MikeBodd » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:33 pm

I went to a pet shop in Meyerton. I was disgusted! They kept making the excuses that they had just moved. But that was no excuse for the snakes water and cage to be full of cr@p. the mice and rats were kept in terrible conditions, the tenrecs etc. I was really disappointed.
MikeBodd
SA Reptiles Member

Postby brentraf » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:22 pm

@ Urucone

Just wondering where and what your shop is called would love to come and take a look, I'm looking around for a pet store that I can trust ATM.
1.1.0 Corn Snake (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)
1.0.0 Giant Ground Gecko (Chondrodactylus angulifer angulifer)
1.0.0 Dumerils Boa (Boa dumerili)
1.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Eryx colubrinus loveridgei)
I love JKS forever.
brentraf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:24 pm

@brentraf - I'ts called Snicker Doodle petshop it's situated on the corner of hendrik verwoerd and de boer str, brits or chameleon village, hartebeestpoort dam, but your'e more than welcome to come and visit.
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby brentraf » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Will probably pay you guys a visit some time soon. I figure someone who owns a pet store and is an active member on this has a pretty decent idea of how to keep Herps :)
1.1.0 Corn Snake (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)
1.0.0 Giant Ground Gecko (Chondrodactylus angulifer angulifer)
1.0.0 Dumerils Boa (Boa dumerili)
1.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Eryx colubrinus loveridgei)
I love JKS forever.
brentraf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kuro » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:33 pm

I just feel when you appoint someone that they should at least know a bit about what they are doing. For example, instead of guessing the snake sex he could just tell you that he is unsure. (Happened at petshop near me)

I don't mind if the guy is still learning, but he can just say that.
Might just be me.
Kuro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lerikoen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:42 pm

I also feel that the staff who interact with the public have a responsibility to the public as well as the animals. Although that will probably only happen in an ideal world, till then I will probably only support the pet stores who prove they care.

@ Urucone - Wish I could visit you're store! Will do so on a visit too Gauteng.
lerikoen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:21 pm

To come back on the topic, a petstore is not the one to be blamed, it's the people themselves, you can train someone or even beat it into them but the point is you can't talk for them.
Another thing to think about; there's usually one person per devision example one expert on fish, one on reptiles, one on birds ext. now if one of those people is "off" or sick someone else have to stand in, usually it's the person that has the most common sense (trust me in this world it's rare), if you go to the store and speak to the guy feeding the "bearded dragons" is it the expert or the replacement?
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions