Forbidden species in SA

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Forbidden species in SA

Postby Exotenparadies » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Hello
I read, that a lot of specieas are forbiden in parts of SA, for example Leopardgeckos. Whats the reason? The import?

In Germany only venomous reptiles are forbidden (you need a special permission) ore in some parts, like Berlin, big ones (Boas and Phytons which can reach more then 1,80m) because they are reputed to be a danger for pepples.
Hope you understand my english.
Exotenparadies
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Forbidden species in SA

Postby scally » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:13 am

Different parts of SA have their own laws , KZN you are allowed to keep almost anything , Gauteng all indigenous need permits otherwise exotics are legal , and in the Cape provinces its illegal to keep anything without a permit.
scally
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:23 pm

South Africa is broken up into 9 provinces. Each province has its own laws regarding conservation. There is also a National law when it comes to specially protected indigenous species like Sungazers, Armadillo lizards, Geometric tortoises and Nile crocodiles for example which everyone has to abide by.

We are not allowed to import any reptile or amphibian unless it has been approved through a risk assessment. We also have a national veterinary law which you have to abide by to import.

Usually amphibians and exotic chelonians are not allowed because they are scared of disease or animals becoming invasive.

Some provinces have further restrictions for some unknown reasons which do not make sense to us because crossing from one province to the other is just like in Germany from one Länder to another.

In one province we do not require permits to keep most indigenous reptiles and amphibians (KwaZulu Natal) while the other provinces all require permits for keeping indigenous reptiles and some amphibians.

Hope you see how silly it all is. Same as what you have there.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:37 pm

What about crocodile farms. I assume they also keep nile crocodiles?!
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:11 am

It is technically possible to keep any species as long as you have a permit for it. So crocodile farms get a special permit which allows this activity. Same with zoos and snake parks. Research facilities also get exemptions.

Theoretically you can go buy a Rhino and a cheetah tomorrow. Realistically unless you meet certain criteria you will never be allowed to.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Exotenparadies » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:00 am

Sounds a litte bit like german bureaucracy.
Exotenparadies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Its crazy. I can legally buy a corn snake in a petshop but if I drive home and cross into another province the snake is then illegal and I have broken the "law".
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Exotenparadies » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:19 pm

@TonyK: Its the same her in Germany.

@all: One mor question. Are you allowed to catch Reptiles in nature and put them into a vivarium?
Exotenparadies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Exotenparadies wrote:@all: One mor question. Are you allowed to catch Reptiles in nature and put them into a vivarium?

Only in KwaZulu-Natal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KwaZulu-Natal) because you do not require any permits with a few exceptions(Python natalensis, ect.). That means I can go catch a Black mamba or House snake and keep it without any issues. But this is illegal in all other Provinces because you require permits for all indigenous reptiles.

What happens quite often with poachers is that they go on trips to collect reptiles(especially Dwarf Bitis) from provinces that they occur in(eg Western Cape and Northern Cape) and bring them back to KZN. Technically the snakes are legal to keep in kzn but they were illegally collected, many poachers go on to legally export these animals to Europe without any problems. In a nutshell: they use KZN as a Export Hub for illegally collected snakes, yet they were exported legally.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions