Moving tanks

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Moving tanks

Postby gekosin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:47 am

Morning all

Bit of a random question and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to it but just want to get your thoughts.

I made 2 tanks a few months ago and they have glass sliding doors, the box ended up being built around the glass and i have to remove a panel or two to remove the glass.

While we move the tanks both lifting and transporting on the back of a truck or bakkie should I remove the glass or just secure it? The boxes themselves are pretty rigid a strong I'm just worried if it twists at all the glass will shatter.

Thanks
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Moving tanks

Postby Westley Price » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:03 am

I would say just remove the glass and save yourself the effort of having to buy new glass and then anyway having to remove the panel.

Are you using those plastic rails? The reason I am asking is that few people actually realize this, but there are two different "depths" of rail; a deeper one for using on top and a shallow one for using on the bottom.

That way you can simply lift the glass to remove, and not need to take a whole panel off. And the glass is pretty secure if cut to the right size.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Re: Moving tanks

Postby gekosin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:12 am

Thanks, yes i am using the plastic rails but the size difference is so small between the top and bottom that I just get the glass cut in such a way that I know it will fit, the downside is I have to remove the panels and slide in the glass from the side.

I still have to figure out the correct height to get the glass cut that will allow me to do what you say (what the tracks are intended to do)
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions