Making snake tubes?

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Making snake tubes?

Postby Mr Venom » Thu May 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Hay everyone

After losing out on a set of Midwest snake tubes, I've decided to make a set of my own.

But I have a few questions.

I've been to a few plastic, plumbing and hardware stores but none of them seem to have clear pipes or tubes, is there anywhere else I can maybe find them?

Will the edges of the tubes be fine as they are, our must they be scraped down a bit to not cause any injuries to the snake?

And will they be just as good as a full set, or am I going the wrong way here?

I want to make a full set, from baby Red lip size all the way to B. gabonica size.

A set would really come in handy for checking for mites, injuries, safe handling etc, that is why I really need a set.

Any ideas or advise would be greatly appreciated.

1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Making snake tubes?

Postby Urucone » Thu May 09, 2013 11:20 pm

A while back I had a few snakes that a friend wanted me to probe. What worked for me was a clear plastic water pump pipe from 12mm - 22mm, the ones you find in the pet stores at R12 - R24 per meter. I don't know if it's the correct stuff to use but it works.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Fri May 10, 2013 6:07 am

I haven't been to a fish store yet. That might work. Thanks Urocone :)

I hope they have bigger sizes too.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Craigh » Fri May 10, 2013 7:02 am

Hi,

A few options that you might want to try:

When you go to the aquarium supply shop, ask to see the 'down tubes' that you connect to the external pumps for the fish tanks, some of them are clear rigid plastic pipes, will definately work for some of the smaller sizes.

Then the best bet might be to give these guys a call http://www.maizey.co.za/ they do just about everything when it comes to plastic, their website isnt the greatest but give them a call and ask, pretty sure they can help;)

Regards,

Craig
Craigh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wors143 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:42 am

I am with Craigh on this one. Maizey’s is close to you and they have the clear acrylic tubes in various sizes.
wors143
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TJ&ACP » Fri May 10, 2013 8:53 am

Mr Venom, I got mine from Maizey. But I had to go to them as telephonically it was difficult as they have too many sizes they have different inner and outer sizes. As it is not sold as snake tubes they had no idea. Another thing to look out for is they have 2 types, a clear and another that has a blue tint to it; I found that the clear ones was easier to drill ventilation holes to it
As a general rule, the more we learn about snakes and their ways, the less fear we have of them. This is usually not so with the Mamba.
The more one learns of his ways, the greater grows the dread of him.
He, without doubt, is the King of Snakes in South Africa.
For quickness, aggressiveness, and the deadly nature of his venom, he has no equal.
F. W. FITZSIMONS, 1912
TJ&ACP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Fri May 10, 2013 8:56 am

If your close to JHB central there a shop on Booysens rd (http://www.plasticworld.co.za/) they have loads of tubes in different sizes.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Fri May 10, 2013 4:16 pm

@Graige, thanks a lot man. Ill go to a pet shop over here that has a lot of fish. I hope they can provide me with the sizes I want. I don't want the snake to go in, and get stuck. Especially if it is a venomous snake. If they don't have then ill go to Maizey's,

@Primogen, Plastic land in central Jhb is a bit far from me. But if Maizey's doesn't have either, then ill go to plastic land. Rather the best, than the faulty.

Thanks a lot guys :)
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions