Back on the grid

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Back on the grid

Postby damiensharjah » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:01 am

Hi herpy friends

I've been keeping a low profile over the last two years or so as life issues and work have been something of a juggling act. I've since moved to Al Ain which, compared to Dubai, is as laid back and friendly as I could have hoped for. There's little humidity here so the nights are cooler than the coast but it's hellishly hot during the day. The herping's been quite reasonable considering the poor effort I've put in. In the last six months I've found several sawscale vipers, some Arabian horned vipers, two diadem snakes, a wadi racer, a monitor, hundreds of Leptien's uromastyx (very nice colony nearby) and several gecko species. I've done a few trips up Jebel Hafit (big mountain that my jeep hates) looking for Persian horned vipers but no luck as yet.

Otherwise getting my hands dirty with a large and crazy collection of large and crazy reptiles at work is a nice step back into what I actually do for a living. It's been a while :smt006

Hope all are well on the forum

Cheers,

Damien
damiensharjah
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Back on the grid

Postby Westley Price » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:12 am

Welcome back, Damien.

After reading you book on Arabian snakes, I sure look forward to your first post on your field herping endeavours.

And also please post pictures of the snakes you have at work as well as the enclosures etc.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mr Venom » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:49 am

Good to have you back Damien,

It's good to see some people are herping up north, haven't actually heard of anyone who herps in Al Ain.

Please post some photos of your finds :D.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:42 am

Good to see you back here. Please dont be shy with the photos.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby damiensharjah » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks guys. I'll post pics in due course. The collection I'm managing consists mostly of common exotics, but I' swapping out much of the surplus for fewer specimens of more desirable species.
damiensharjah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:25 am

Welcome back Damien! Glad you're keeping well. Would love to see what you've been up to and where you've been.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby damiensharjah » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks Froot. Great to see you all still loyally posting here.

The two years I spent at Dubai Aquarium amounted to very little and I'm super happy to be back in the mainstream zoo world again. We're busy with some cool projects in the form of rennovation and re-theming. Lot's of challenges in the form of a big collection of animals that have not recieved the best care for a very long time. But hey--At least the day is never dull :)
damiensharjah
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions