Best public reptile facilities

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Best public reptile facilities

Postby damiensharjah » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi all

I'm doing a proposal and need to select five of the best public reptile facilities, extrapolate what makes them the best, and develop a model facility.

What, in your opinion, are the best public facilities (reptile parks, zoos and even museums) and why do you think that?

Thanks,
Damien :smt006
damiensharjah
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Best public reptile facilities

Postby NewtTZ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:14 pm

I haven't been in awhile but the Pretoria Zoo used to house a nice selection of herps including my favourite the Chinese Giant Salamander.

The Transvaal museum has all the good stuff
(preserved specimens & fossil reptiles) behind the scenes.
Tim's Reptile Supplies
www.timsreptiles.co.za
NewtTZ
SA Reptiles Member

Postby damiensharjah » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:56 am

Thanks. As a collection, PZ has nice animals but I'm also talking about exhibits and the overall public experience.
Perhaps if I reword this:

What would you look for in a public facility? The collection, yes, but also other things like interpretive signs, enclosures etc. For me it's not just huge collections of reptiles, or rarities, for example. It's equally a pleasure to see a common species beautifully displayed in appropriately themed enclosures with excellent signage.
damiensharjah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Izzy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:54 am

Well if you are looking for nice exhibits then i think you should pay the snake park at harties a visit. They are easily accessible (ie. some indoors and some outdoors), they are well displayed (ie. the right decor for the type of snake) and the signage is easy to understand and to the point, so to speak. Mostly the team they have there are friendly and informative and their animals are kept clean and safe, witch to me is the most important thing about public displays. They have been around for ages so i think their recipe is fairly good.
2x Albino Radiated Rat Snakes - Izzy & Yoka
2x Morelia viridis Nakita & Little one
1x Python regius Spider
1x Python regius Cinnamon
1x Python regius Het Albino
1x Python regius Yellow belly
1x Rainbow Boa
Izzy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Blake » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:54 am

I would say that the small dangerous creatures section at ushaka is very well set up. The displays are absolutely awesome and look rather natural. It's a small.collection but all in all I'd say it is displayed beautifully and the enclosures are appropriately themed and the signage is pretty decent.

I haven't been there for quite some time so my description is from wen I was last there about 18 months ago.
Blake
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions