needing help!

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

needing help!

Postby StriderWolf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:19 am

Hello everyone

i hoping you can help out as i need to get an estermate of all my snakes fro thos lovely inshorence ppl! (grrrr) so if you could help out with how much you think each of these snakes would cost? (i how ever find this hard as they are all priceless!)
my list of Reptiles are ....

6X nile crocodile Crocodylus niloticus
2X puff adders Bitis arietans
1X Rinkhals Hemachatus haemachatus
1X brown house snake
1X mozambique spitting cobra Naja mossambica
1X cape cobra Naja nivea
1X Gaboon adder Bitis gabonica
2X forest cobras Naja melanoleuca
1X albino Burmese python (2.9 m+) Python bivittatus
2X snouted cobra Naja annulifera
2X African rock pythons Python sebae
2X red tail boa Boa constrictor
1X black necked spitting cobra Naja nigricollis
1X Burmese python (4m+) Python bivittatus
1X green iguana Iguana iguana
1X night adder causus rhombeatus
1X yellow anaconda Eunectes notaeus

any idears would be much apriceated
StriderWolf
SA Reptiles Member

Re: needing help!

Postby Lillypod » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:26 am

Brown house snake - I have seen hatchlings being sold for R50 and a couple of weeks ago I sold a pair for R250... I tried selling for more, but no one was interested...
Albino Burmese python (2.9 m+) Python bivittatus - Saw some being sold for R2000 each
Red tail boa - Boa constrictor - I've seen people sell hatchlings for R150 and some adults for R900 - R1200
Green iguana Iguana iguana - Ive seen a few babies for R500 - R700, Adults for around R1200

Please note these are just the prices I see from broadcasts, messages, gumtree, facebook groups and so on...
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby StriderWolf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:17 pm

thank you very much this is exsacly what i would like just need from more ppl and the higher the price the better as i say its for insurance
StriderWolf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:41 pm

What did you pay for these animals? Surely you can just give the same price you paid?

Or make up a price if you say "the higher the price the better" then surely you can't be giving them correct info in any case? You might as well just make all of them R5000.

You also did not give any ages of the animals, a baby Red Tail Boa can cost R350 but a 4 year old, big female ready to breed can go for R3500 or more.

Please also check your grammar and punctuation.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby StriderWolf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Dear Mitton

Well I am terribly sorry for my bad grammar and the punctuation.
However I am I a small rush regarding this and do not have time to go through everything and pick out mistakes however thank you for doing this for me.

Now if I had the cost of all of these reptiles I would not have a problem. However I do not have this information as I, shall we say, inherited them.

you are quite right that I should have mentioned that they are all adults but as previously stated I am in a slight rush so I guess I should have added "no time wasters please"

However you seamed to understand my message and I was hoping I would get some results.

But please remember that no everyone is fluent in English as yourself and some people in this word have something learning difficulties so please think be for you get on your high horse thank you.

Yours sincerely striderwolf
StriderWolf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:52 pm

So is wildlife insurance pratical for anything less than Rhino ??
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:11 pm

As a moderator of the forum, its his "job" to keep up the high standard. Rather not cause fights over a simple reminder.

Anyway, onto the more important info. I've put MY estimates for the species I've seen for sale regularly and what I think the going rate is. I've left out the ones I'm not so sure about. As you said they're all adults, these are all supposed "adult prices".

2X Bitis arietans @ R400ea
1X Hemachatus haemachatus @ R350
1X Boaedon capensis @ R300
1X Naja mossambica @ R450
1X Bitis gabonica @ R4500-5000
2X Naja melanoleuca @ 800ea (now N. subfulva if I'm not mistaken)
2X Naja annulifera @ R650ea
2X Boa constrictor @ R1500ea
1X Naja nigricollis @ R1500-R2000
1X Iguana iguana @ R1500
1X Eunectes notaeus @ R600

If the indigenous aren't on permit, the price will decrease a bit (not to mention the legal side of it). Also, the Gaboon Viper and Nile Crocodiles are TOPS species so you could get a lot more for a CB specimen on permit.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby StriderWolf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:50 pm

It_bit_me not really my chose kind of came down from head office

Wadekilian I don’t mind the standards that are followed however just a thought some people have dyslexia and it’s not their fault and I feel very strong about it as this is a thing I have to live with all my life, but I wish not to dwindle on this. However thank you very much and yes they are all permitted and I have had the NSPCA come through and they are happy with every thing
StriderWolf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:55 pm

What I heard is that wildlife insurers only insure the animal for its life. '
You will have to prove the cause of death as unnatural. Autopsie and monthly payments will be far more than any of those animals are worth.

That is the tune I got ..... :smt012
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby StriderWolf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:03 pm

Most likely (I always feel insurance is a bit of a scam) but they say in case of fire (thatch roof and all) as its going to be a mission to remove all in time. Again I hope this never happens but yer
StriderWolf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby najarw » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:03 am

Hi Wadekilian
I have seen that there are quite a few people using N. subfulva, I just cannot find any recent papers with this change and everywhere I look has the name as N. melanoleuca or more recently as Naja (Boulengerina) melanoleuca
Perhaps someone can shed some light on this.
http://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/30489-Naja-melanoleuca
najarw
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions