Need some help.

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Need some help.

Postby Lillypod » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Last year December my sister bought a female corn snake from a pet shop, this corn was gravid and a week later she laid 13 eggs (10 of which were fertile), she was also egg bound and I gently massaged the last egg out. I offered to incubate the eggs if I could get 2 corns of my choice and I'll even sell the rest for her, only keeping R50 (to pay for feeding them) for myself. Well, long story short, my sister took all the babies as soon as they hatched (10 of them) and she refused to give me any, then after many fights my father stepped in and told my sister to at least give me one, which she the agreed upon, but I was only allowed to choose one of the anneries, all of which were male and I was seeking for a female as I have a adult male amel corn.

Now with breeding season approaching my sister wants to breed her female corn snake with my male. I really want to breed my snake, but I'd rather buy myself a female which I can breed with. The problem is she won't take no for an answer and she keeps saying she needs the money. She even wants her dog to have babies so she can sell them. I don't know what to do, she even asked my dad to set up a contract... I don't do business with family, it causes to many problems. My sister is younger than me and like you all can probably guess she is getting on my last nerves.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Need some help.

Postby Primogen » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:55 pm

The decision still boils down for you to make, and I would not make a deal with someone who breaks thiers.
As to the breeding, your male can easily mate multiple females during the season so you can definetly get your own female and still breed to your sisters female(which should probaly not breed this season because of the egg binding).
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:29 pm

Her corn snake also looks thin-ish. She doesn't feed that much and also her cages are usually dirty. I don't agree with her keeping the snakes as she does, but my dad says I must keep quite. I don't think her snake is healthy, she has a swollen throat (not mouth rot), I think it's irritation due to the sandy substrate.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:44 pm

I would suggest keeping your animals as far as possible from hers, pairing your male up with her female(if she's in such bad condition) just isn't worth it.

Keep your collection to yourself and it shouldn't be too difficult to find a healthy female you can buy to pair to your male.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:58 pm

Exactly what I was thinking, but she keeps bugging me and my dad and if I crack I'm going to tell her how bad a snake owner she is...
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Blake » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi Monique I remember we spoke quite extensively about the previous situation you mentioned with your sister and I definitely agree with primogen and kfc223. She broke your deal once so in my opinion she'll do it again. Rather get yourself a female I think that would benefit you more. Also I have to concur with kfc223 about keeping your animals far away from hers. Not worth it risking your whole collection.
Blake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:45 pm

I have rules about her not bringing her snakes close to mine. I'd rather not risk it either...
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Ask your sis to post a pic of the snake. She will get good opinions on whether the female is in the healthy condition others would recommend for breeding.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:26 pm

She also listens to the guy she buys her rats from, who she also considers a friend. He told her the best way to feed a snake is with a live rat. She still feeds her 6+ month corns pinky mice. Mine is on hoppers already. She won't listen to me and I occasionally feed her snakes if I have extra rodents, but I don't think I can keep it up for much longer.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Izzy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:53 am

Hi lillypod :smt006 , no offence but it sounds like your sister is quite noob when it comes to her snakes :smt012 , please try and convince her to join the forum at least that way she can get advice from a wider audience and perhaps save a few snakes some long term damage. :smt022 Good Luck with that though, somehow i think it will not be easy to get that right.
2x Albino Radiated Rat Snakes - Izzy & Yoka
2x Morelia viridis Nakita & Little one
1x Python regius Spider
1x Python regius Cinnamon
1x Python regius Het Albino
1x Python regius Yellow belly
1x Rainbow Boa
Izzy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mental-tree » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:39 am

Tell her she can breed her female with your male for an upfront payment of R300 and then offer to incubate the eggs for an additional upfront payment of R200. If that doesn't deter her simply confiscate her snakes. It's well within your rights to do so as her older brother.
mental-tree
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:43 am

@mental-tree
Older sister...
My dad won't allow me to confiscate the snakes.
Yeah, charging her a fee might deter her. She never has money.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:48 am

Hey Monique:) I would definitely tell your sister to go get stuffed. A child as young as she is should not be looking to breed animals to their detrament because she "needs" money. Bulldust, she wants money. In my opinion she should not be allowed to keep animals if that's all she wants to get from having them as pets.

I really think you are wasting your breath on that child. She takes advice from everybody but you. Your animals should be separate at all times.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Blake » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:58 am

Jamster hit the nail on the head there.
Blake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks James. I believe so too, it's not long before she will be moving, because she wants to study away from home. Wonder what she will be doing with her snakes, I'm taking her dog though, I take care of it anyway.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions