Flooding the market?

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Flooding the market?

Postby Rabid.Evo8691 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:14 am

I am the type of person that asks the questions nobody else is willing to ask.Problems are problems because there is always a solution to it as long as it has a voice.

Many breeders I have done business in the past have spoke to me about their competition flooding the market prices of the animals they breed.

When you take the effort to import and spend time and money growing previously not in the country animals I do understand why prices can be so extreme and I also do find it unfair that someone just suddenly halves their value.

The question I want to ask the more experienced breeders in our country is how do I as an upcoming breeder sell my animals at a price of a reputable breeder that has his loyal clientele basis.

I would close my facility that same year.
I believe for example I come from Springs. People here don't want to spend 2000 rand on a reptile if they can buy something for under 1000 rand.
( The electric yellow blizzard line of leopard gecko markets around 1000-1500 rand mark and the yellow blizzard leopard gecko markets around half that. So the people where I stay won't ever buy an electric yellow blizzard unless I sell them at a more competitive price)

I understand that if I exhibit a stand at an expo where the market is more vast I could then sell my reptiles closer to other breeders prices but before I can do that as a whole I need a reputation and repeat customers.

Please view your opinions I would appreciate the insight.
Follow our progress on our facebook page (Rabid Evolution reptiles)
Rabid.Evo8691
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: Flooding the market?

Postby Bushviper » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:36 am

Reptiles have a price which is determined like any product by quality and demand. If the animal sells for R1000 then no matter where in the country you live you can sell it for that price. If you live in Cape Town and permits are a problem then you might get more than national value for it. If you live in Ellisras and cannot easily ship it then you will have to accept less to absorb the freight costs.

If nobody knows you then you will struggle to sell a premium animal. If you are well known and have a reputation of selling good quality animals which are exactly what you present them as then they will sell easily. This takes time and you cannot rush it.

If you never allow anyone near your collection or are abrupt to them over the phone you will struggle to sell your animals. People are buying far more than just an animal when they interact with you. After sales service is also very important.

If somebody is importing animals and dumping them on the market then you have to learn to live with it. Your pair of Leopard geckos that cost you R2500 for the pair as babies have now managed to produce 6 babies in the season and you had to drop your price to R1000 each. Even though they are genetically superior to the parents that's all you can get. So your R2500 investment has now made you R6000 in the first year and if you keep back a singe male you can use him to make even better babies next year. You can still make that same amount the next year from those parents.

This hobby is not about money but if you know what you are doing it can be a great bonus once a year.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rabid.Evo8691 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:00 pm

Thank you for your input. I agree fully that it isn't about the money and that after sales service is just as important as the original sales.

Only the breeders that have been in business for years can claim the title of a reputed breeder and only time will tell if I have what it takes.

I have never been wealthy and money doesn't bother me as long as I can buy more animals with what I breed and eventually sell will make me content.
Rabid.Evo8691

Postby Frank » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:18 pm

I understand where you are coming from, with regards to trying to establish your name as a breeder, as I am trying to do the same thing.

When I decided to start breeding last year I started with a trio of leopard geckos, knowing that i had enough space to keep all the hatchlings I produced in the case that sales were slow. I feel the most common cause of animals being sold cheaply is that the owner/breeder wants to move them quickly. I didn't start with expensive morphs knowing full well that as a new breeder it would be easier to sell cheaper morphs and thereby make contact with what would become my customer base.

I then posted pics here on the forum of my geckos and of some of my hatchlings so that when it came to me advertising here people could reference my posts to see that my geckos are healthy and well looked after.

I don't think that it is ever necessary to sell an animal for half the price of established breeders. If the customer tells you he won't buy it at your price then you don't need to sell it to him. And in the case of customers not wanting to pay a EYB's price because a yellow blizzard is cheaper then you need to explain to them why the EYB is more expensive not drop your price because they weren't aware of the fact that it is a 3 gene morph.

I wish you good luck with your breeding and I hope you manage to establish yourself as hope.

Ps When are you going to post some pics of your geckos?
Please go have a look at my facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fs-Geckos/362339593874889
Frank
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:20 pm

One thing that I found is if you do want to make a name for yourself then becoming more involved in Herp activities helps quite a bit.

For instance join the THA, tonight there is a beauty pageant and you can bring some of your animals to show people what you have. People will like your animals and after the pageant come and chat to you and so you get your name out there, maybe even make a sale or 2.
It is not only tonight for the pageant that you should come, you will always meet more people with the same interest and by chatting to them do they know that there is another breeder that they can contact.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Rabid.Evo8691 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Good advice thanks. I have considered getting involved but for now I am over burdened. Maybe as of next year. Thanks for the invite though.
I am at my day job at the moment and my Friday nights consist of feeding a lot of hungry mouths and cleaning enclosures. Its a busy hobby. Its addictive and it takes up equal amount of hours weekly as my job lol
Rabid.Evo8691

Return to General Discussions