Advice needed from breeders and pet sellers

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Advice needed from breeders and pet sellers

Postby Lillypod » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:22 pm

I occasionally breed the animals I own (chinchillas, hedgehogs, guinea pigs and so forth) to sell as pets. Well, I have a problem, sometimes I feel a certain person will not make a good owner to this certain pet (or sometimes any pet), but I do not know how to tell these people. Instead I have been ignoring them, but I will have to face them sometime and I have no idea what to say. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I do not want my animals to end up with people who will possibly not take care of them properly. Any advice will be appreciated.

I really have good reasons why I do not want to sell to them e.g. they have bred the animals they have to early, do not feed them the proper diet, breed them to much or inbreed animals (especially a problem with guinea pigs), etc...
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Advice needed from breeders and pet sellers

Postby Chamssss » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:59 am

I made up my own mini-caresheets for the animals I was selling and I would send it to the people interested in what i was selling and I also informed them on the costs involved with caring for the animal all its life time. From that my customers asked me many more questions and purchased many things that they needed with my best advice kept in mind.

If people told me they already had a cage and such ready I'd ask exactly what it is they have and the size of the cage and if was not to the right specs. needed for the animal then I'd tell them exactly what to change.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:14 am

Rather than leaving people still not aware about the correct care for the animals I felt better to inform them, even if it involved continually answering calls and texts for an entire week. In the end youre left with the satisfaction of knowing your animals are in good homes. And also communicating with the clients so much made them feel comfortable to always come back to me with questions about all things regarding the animal(s).

I hope you find this advice helpful.
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby croteseeker » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:23 am

In the US (I don't know if it works like this over there), when you buy rodents at some stores, they require that you sign a contract that states that you will not use them as feeders. In addition to the advice about the caresheets, you could also specifically list things like caging, bedding, etc. that the prospective buyer must prove to you (with photos) that they have fully prepared for their new addition and are ready to take proper care. This might be a better way to help you weed out those who aren't serious, as you can simply tell them that these are your rules and that they're in place for a reason. Anyone serious about caring for their new pet will have no problems complying, and those that do aren't very likely to give you too hard a time for covering your bases when they obviously weren't willing to cover theirs.
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:26 pm

@Chamssss

Each of my animals do come with a care sheet and birth certificate, but some of these people already own animals like the ones I'm selling, but won't even bother reading the caresheet because they "already know everything", here is a real life example: Person contacts me to buy my baby guinea pig males (3 of them I'm selling as pets), this person feeds his Guinea Pigs pellets which aren't all that good for them, but fortunately for him none of his has died... yet. Then I state to this person that the food might lead to obesity and kidney complications and that there is a specialized guinea pig pellet available, then he attacks me saying he knows what he is doing, he loves his animals and he has "40 guinea pigs and they are all healthy and cared for". I then asked if he breeds: "Yes". I asked what do you do with the babies: "Keep them, because I love them to much to sell". This person in particular does not want to listen to ANY of my suggestions or advice and will probably have over 100 guinea pigs by mid-year. When I finally decided enough is enough and I would prefer my guinea pigs going to a home where they will be treated as family pets. Told him: I would prefer them to go to a another house where they might not be part of a crowd in as nice way as I possibly could. This person got angry and was harassing me till late at night into the next morning.

@croteseeker
Thanks. I usually state how big the cage should be in the caresheet and do my best to let people get the proper caging, problem I noticed is people took pics of the cages in the pet shop and sent me a picture of that and when I hear/see a few months later they are keeping the animal in a very different type/smaller cage. I have made it a point to see the cage. Luckily I don't breed the animals that much so I've probably only sold like maybe 15 animals (not all that I bred) in the past 2 years and I've made a good point in education and caging specifications. I always make sure to add the foods these critters are allowed and not allowed to eat so people do not give the wrong food. I'm very picky when it comes to the homes of my animal children. I do sell feeders as well, but again I recently made a point to only sell frozen ones, I only sell live to other feeder breeders that I personally know.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rabid.Evo8691 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:08 pm

My fiance loves her furry cuddlies. I ended up buying her on 5 different occasions from 3 different local petshops guinea pig trios. All died within the first 4 months. Their poop clogged up and they got all weak no matter how expensive the quality of their diet and housing started costing us. We blamed ourselves and my fiance ended up presuming the petshops were inbreeding their stock.

On the other hand I sold nymph stick insects to another local petshop and insisted on explaining the care of these invertebrates. He just shunned everything I said and said he knows how to care for them. 3 weeks later he phones me telling me they all died. 30 of them. He insinuated that I did something wrong. I simply told him I told him not to house they in glass enclosures and to use steel mesh enclosures and that he never listened to me. Its amazing all the ones I have kept back are breeding now and thriving.

Being nice doesn't get the animals you breed the quality of life they deserve. You will know by the look in the persons eyes if they are passionate about owning a specific animal and not just buying on impulse.

Impulsive buying has left thousands of beardies and red tails suffering in our country and it sickens me that petshops still mass distribute these creatures.

Money is an evil thing.
Follow our progress on our facebook page (Rabid Evolution reptiles)
Rabid.Evo8691
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Lillypod » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:33 pm

Thanks! Well said.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake