snake in my yard

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

snake in my yard

Postby Hilgard » Sat May 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi.

Can somebody please help me identify this small (baby?) that turned up in my pool yesterday? Is it venomous since my kids play around the pool area often? If it is baby, must I be on the look for the mother or siblings since, the area at the back of the house is enclosed by high walls? And what should I look for? I stay in Wingate Park, Pretoria.

Regard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hilgard
SA Reptiles Member

Re: snake in my yard

Postby Warren Klein » Sat May 24, 2014 5:41 pm

That is a Red-lipped or Herald snake Crotaphopeltis hotamboeia. They are considered semi-venomous but their venom is of little concern to people and generally considered harmless. They are frog and toad eaters and don't grow very big, around 65cm would be a large adult.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hilgard » Sat May 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks for the prompt response. Should I be on the lookout for more of them?
Hilgard
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Sat May 24, 2014 9:14 pm

They are common in the Pretoria area, and are dependent on a permanent water source, because of their specialized diet of frogs and toads, so because you have a pool, you will bump into them occasionally, but as a rule there is only one snake in any given habitat, so that should be the only one in your area/garden

They are not dangerous to pets, and if you teach your kids to not pick them up or tease them, they are not a problem
They have a bad attitude and will strike out and hiss and behave like a dangerous snake but its all a bluff, their bite is rarely worse than a bee sting
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sun May 25, 2014 12:49 pm

Bernice, great reply, but I do not agree with the following statement:

Bernice wrote:...but as a rule there is only one snake in any given habitat, so that should be the only one in your area/garden

I have found up to six Herald snakes within a single rotting log close to water, so I would say there's a good chance that Hilgard will run into more in his/her garden.

But all other comments were accurate, nothing to worry about. Actually a pleasure to have them around the house. :D
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby reptile » Mon May 26, 2014 7:53 am

They are definitely not of any harm to humans, have two of them in my collection. I do get tagged occasionally, but their are no side affects... :D
85% of all snakes are harmless!!!!
0:1 Super Hypo Leopard Gecko
God made everything... It's all to perfect for it to be able to just appear
reptile
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hilgard » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:39 pm

Thank you to all for the responses.
Hilgard
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:07 pm

Hi Westly Price :)

Ok agreed maybe my wording is a little off or misleading... What i mean is that dependent on resources there will be only be a limited number of animals... I have only ever found 1 or 2 snakes max in a manicured garden environment... their numbers will be higher in environments that provide enough food and shelter for them... :)
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions