Best pet snake?

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Re: Best pet snake?

Postby Westley Price » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:58 pm

If I think back a couple of years (okay more than a couple, haha) Sinaloan Milk Snakes and Grey Banded Kings were the top of the list for me.

In my experience, Lampropeltis are relatively calm snakes, but it's their beauty that knocks your socks off! To this day, Grey Banded Kings are probably one of the more beautiful snakes in the hobby in my opinion.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby croteseeker » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:38 am

I think Jamster got the closest. If you have a boa, no garter is going to give you many problems. Watching them hunt for fish is also something every herper should get to do once, anyway. With regard to kings, milks, and rats, they are notorious biters, though for different reasons. Kings and milks usually give a feeding bite, just kind of rolling over and latching on. Rats are known to give some pretty nasty defensive bites. If you're still bothered by the thought of a mildly venomous species, I would advise you to look into small, fossorial species. I can't remember ever being tagged by even a wild snake of that description. Their housing requirements are usually pretty minimal and, besides, worms are so much cheaper than rats. The only major downside would be the fact that most of those species are not great display snakes. With all of that in mind, I honestly think that the first suggestion given here is the genus you should be looking at. ;)
" a squat, scaly worm with, 'don't touch,' on one end and, 'that's why,' on the other."

-Thomas Palmer
croteseeker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scalybunni » Thu May 21, 2015 11:12 am

Thanks croteseeker. I am now more experienced with snakes than before but am still careful around them.

A garter snake diving for food would be something really cool to show the "haters" that come around to see the snakes from time to time. :) will look into it.
The kiss originated when the first male reptile licked the first female reptile, implying in a subtle, complimentary way that she was as succulent as the small reptile he had for dinner the night before.
scalybunni
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to General Discussions