Sad to see our hobby being abused by scammers and ...

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Re: Sad to see our hobby being abused by scammers and ...

Postby Tars » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi Mitton,

If I remember correctly I got his add from the classified section, so yes he is on the forum, if he is, I hope he don't mind me mentioning his name, he is Darren, dont know his last name.

Thanks
Tars
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Do a quick search see who associates with and if they are reputable people don't be afraid to ask for references.
Personally i won't send animals unless the buyers covers the costs involved in full first.

At the end of the day as a seller shipping animals out times their time, arranging shipping and costs them money.

IN hindsight doing the buyer a favour.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:53 am

If I am buying I only deal with people who come recommended by someone I trust. However in the event that I get ripped off I will make sure that everybody on every forum and everybody on my email address book will know about the incident. I will also repeat the exercise after a month, 6 months and a year later again. The internet can destroy a reputation very easily.

I only ship when the other person has paid in full and paid the freight. I dont courier or post or any other illegal activity. I take it to the airport and ship it to your nearest airport. I make sure the packaging conforms with international standards and unless the plane crashes the animals will get there safe and sound.

If you send someone to come fetch it then I only guarantee it is alive when it leaves. I cannot take responsibility once it leaves my door.

I dont mind hanging onto an animal for a month or two if you have paid in full and you want to pick it up at an expo. There are enough each year to make this a possibility. If you are paying it off I will keep it for a reasonable period but not raise it to adulthood for you at the price of a baby.

If you are worried about a deal "thats too good to be true" then usually it is. They will come up again. When I see an advert stating the animals have to be gone by the weekend or something like that I will NEVER buy them. That often means they are going to die and the owner does not want that to happen while he still owns them. Either that or he stole them and needs them gone!

By the same token I have friends who have taken snakes and not paid them off after 3 months but I know they are good for the money. It will get sorted out. Trust in this hobby is not easily earned but those that are trustworthy can be trusted with anything.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Tars » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks for the insights BV, I have decided to take the chance, Im sure everything will be fine, I will keep you guys updated on how it goes down.
Tars
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:04 am

"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Previous

Return to General Discussions