Is it just me or is it a bit hot today?

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Is it just me or is it a bit hot today?

Postby Bushviper » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:39 am

Today while driving in my car I had a look at the thermometer and the reading at 18hoo was 41 degrees in the car.

Tonight at 03h00 the temperature in my room is 28 degrees. Luckily I only have a few eggs left to hatch or else I might have to look into putting a cooling unit in my incubator to cool the eggs down to a more acceptable level like 27 degrees!

I have never been one to complain about the heat but this is no longer a joke. I got sunburnt on my nose because I was outside in the sun between 15h30 and 16h10 today.

Maybe the guys have got this global warming thing right!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Spikelet » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:33 am

lol our outside thermometer was sitting at 32.2C yesterday and thats in the shade - nuts!

I am sure this weather is also the cause of much overheating in reptiles where there are no thermostats or where their owners have forgotten to unplug or turn off heaters :(. The ambient temp alone is pushing the cage temps up way too high at the moment - I know our thermostat bleats at me everyday about the temp being too hot in Morts house and thats with no heater at all - luckily that means I get to play with him while his house airs to a more acceptable level of warmth ;)

AND it is so hot that it's melting the icing off my daughters birthday cake :( - boohoo cause I spent hours last night decorating it for her school party today - luckily 4 year olds are not as picky as adults ;)
'We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner' Bilbo Baggins
Spikelet
SA Reptiles Member

Its hot

Postby THE BOSS » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:11 am

Last night at 20:10 we were still at 39 degrees in Rustenburg. I dont even look at temperature during the day. Man I am looking forward to winter this year.
Sorrow looks back, worry looks around,Faith looks up.
THE BOSS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sean » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:14 am

I Think this may be relevant (and the cyclone)

Australian forecasters said on Thursday that the El Nino weather pattern blamed for the worst drought in a century had ended, and expressed cautious optimism much-needed rain was on the way.

The Bureau of Meteorology said there was no guarantee the drought was over but the end of the El Nino meant there was reason to be hopeful.

"The 2006/07 El Nino has ended," the bureau said in a statement.

"While the end of the El Nino would normally be associated with a return to more normal rainfall patterns, it should not be seen as a precursor to drought-breaking rains.

"Nonetheless, we can be cautiously optimistic that there will be a general easing of dry conditions in drought-affected areas over the next one to two seasons."

El Nino is occasional warming of the central and eastern Pacific Ocean that typically happens every four to seven years and disrupts weather patterns from the western seaboard of Latin America to East Africa for 12-18 months.

It has been blamed for flooding in the Horn of Africa and Bolivia, more severe winter monsoons in South Asia, and the lengthy drought in Australia.

"More often than not, El Nino events result in reduced rainfall across parts of eastern and northern Australia, particularly during winter, spring and early summer," the bureau said.

"However, the precise nature of the impact differs quite markedly from one event to another, even with similar changes and patterns in the Pacific Ocean."

La Nina on its way

The bureau said there was a higher-than-average chance of the El Nino being followed by a "La Nina" weather pattern, which occurs when the Pacific cools, offering hope of drought-breaking rains.

"La Nina events are generally associated with wetter-than-normal conditions across much of the eastern half of the country from about autumn," it said.

The bureau said El Nino was a natural phenomenon that was extremely difficult to predict.

"El Nino is not a freak of climate, it's not a rogue weather phenomenon, and it isn't in any way abnormal," it said.

"Furthermore it is not a scourge, and as far as Australia is concerned, it shouldn't be thought of as a synonym for drought, although it's often linked to reduced rainfall in eastern and northern Australia.
AFP

http://www.24.com/news/?p=scitecha&i=428433
billygoats taste of chicken
Sean
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Gabi » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:17 am

Yeh the temperature seems to have gone back to normal.. I think it's 31 in Pretoria today which is normal. A bit of a relief from the 35 - 36 - 37 we've been getting.
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Gabi
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Quintin » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:41 am

I was in Thabazimbi yesterday..... it was 45 deg C yesterday.. i almost died!!!!!!!!!!!! lol....

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:36 am

The heat waking you up BV? You should be fast asleep at 3h39am!
I live on average 500m above you lot which gives an average of 5 degrees celcius lower (1 degree down per 100 meters altitude average), and we slept with windows open and ceiling fan on full tilt and no blankets. Pretty unsual stuff!
The animals seemed to be ok. My one boa was lying with it's body pressed up against the cage glass to cool off.

I wonder how this weather will affect the rains in Mozambique this year as it's now cyclone season there!
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby snake-5 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:10 am

Has anybody seen that movie an inconvenient truth, apparently its pretty eye opening stuff...
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:23 pm

I heard a lot about that movie. Directed by the ex-US deputy president Al Gore. He exposeds a lot about sensitive govenment stuff. I wanna see it.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby gaboon69 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:40 am

Ive set my target to c pretoria reach 43 degrees this summer.If my prediction turns to fact, then....I donno.
Watched the moon tonight,and its dirty yellow,and the sky orange due to polution--think wed be doing nature a favour by destroying ourselves.
Sad fact is that the more we talk,the less people want to hear.
They believe its a problem,but refrain from discussing it.Lets start some campaign---we all owe it to nature I believe.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions