Exporting reptiles in South Africa

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Exporting reptiles in South Africa

Postby Rassie31 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:52 am

Good day everyone

I hope someone can help me. Some of my friends and I had a discussion about reptile exporting and there were quite a lot to say. I just would like to know if anyone can help us on this topic. Can you export reptiles in South Africa to other countries and if so what reptiles are allowed to be exported. Thank you very much.
Rassie31
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Exporting reptiles in South Africa

Postby Carlo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi.
Yes reptiles can be exported to other countries.
Reptiles would typically be categorized according to CITES and depending on which country they will be allowed (or not allowed ) to be exported
Each country has it's own policies and regulations when it comes to importing so first step would be to find that out.
In my experience the exporting out of SA is not a problem,but the real issues are with the countries of import.
Some countries may require a period of quarantine at source of export while others may not.
Exportation out of SA normally would be. ,Export permit,Vet certificate,CITES Export permit and fees paid and of course clearance with the State Vet.
Hope this helps
Carlo
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Discussions