Global warming

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Global warming

Postby gaboon69 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:29 am

What role should we play to fight global warming in ZA as hobbyists or herpathologists?

Where do you see yourself in this bigger picture of current biological reccession?
Ive always been aware of the threats global warning pose,but now its real and it will kill us all if we dont act to save ourselves,but most important our global bio system.

Just feels like we are the group of people who care about reptiles the most in ZA,and thus shouldnt the responsibility then also fall on us to make sure they are still there when we leave this world?
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:36 pm

I don't think there is much we cand do about climate change and global warming, we are not a real contributor but we should try to make people in countries such as the USA, the UK and Chgina change their ways, always easier said than done!
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Long John Silver » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:38 pm

A very effective but impactical way of reducing global warming would be for all of us to start riding our bicycles to work. Because Exhaust emisions is one of the larger contributors to global warming.

So theres your answer!
Murphy's law in Herping: "If the snake is within range, so are you"
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:30 pm

Those of you who work in the field can take note of the phenology of various reptile species; snakes in particular are good bio indicators of climate change.

Even in the UK adders are staying out longer but as yet not breeding more often - although food intake has increased. Have a paper in press comparing population in 60s/70s with 2002/4
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby snake-5 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:57 am

Tooo many people too small a planet. There are more people living on this planet right now than all those combined throught the whole of history. If controlled birth rates like in china were introduced world wide everybody would have jobs, there would be no more poverty simply because there would be opportunitys everywhere. I FEEL A DISCUSSION COMMING ON
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:33 pm

One small way you can contribute is this.

When a page of a website is white it takes energy to get the pixel white. If the pixel is black no energy is used.

When using google it is possible to save energy by going to Blackle.com which is google without the white page.

Try it and see. There is more info on this page too.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby BushSnake » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:41 pm

There has been some interesting records of insects (particularly butterflies) in areas far from their normal habitat. One butterfly, the blue-spotted Charaxes (Charaxes cithaeron) was known to be a coastal butterfly. They are easily locatable and if they occur in an area you would be able to find them. In the past 8 years colonies have popped up in Limpopo Province about 600km from their natural distribution. This is thought to be an effect of global warming as certain areas are now becoming warmer like the coastal areas. Because butterflies can fly they tend to move/migrate quicker than other animals but I am sure that there are many reptile species that have also started expanding there ranges. It would be interesting if people could post some of these records (SARCA helps)

The problem comes in with the high altitude stuff (Probably your Bitis inornata and similar stuff). They need to move higher up mountains to keep living in a cool environment but if temperatures keep on rising, well, they can only go as high as the mountain peak...
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake

Postby armata » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:36 pm

The golden toad in Cost Rica is probably the first casualty of global warming, almost certainly extinct.
No cloud forest no toad.

Just an aside but a potential environment hazard.
We all know about George Bush and Kyoto.

Hows about this - To deal with the illegal immigration from Mexixo the US Govt have proposed building a fence the whole width of the border, but wait for it a 1km wide strip will be cleared either side.
This is a biodiversity hotspot. the good old US of A don'y ya just love 'em ya'll.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata

Postby Bushviper » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:12 pm

Armata is there any chance we could go and remove anything from that 1km zone? At least then we can sit back and share a beer thinking about the good old days when animals actually existed across these thousands of miles.

Spit for brains!

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby gaboon69 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:26 pm

They say we as ZA citizens can insist on using those special fluorescent lights in our homes.

Cant one get permission to create awareness at expos etc?
Selling lights and maybe donating profit?

It just feel like people know about it,but not always what the real implications are,and that they are actually happening and getting worse.

Maybe get a biologist or someone to talk to the masses?
I donno,but I cant think of anything else lately.

It makes me think of the movie I saw--apocolypto...where a wise Indian man told his tribe a story of a man who could never get enough from nature...and at the end the world said that it had nothing more to give.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:50 pm

LJS. All is good and well when it comes to driving your bicycle to work. Imagine this. Getting a call out, get on your bicycle and paddle like Sh** to get there in time to catch the offending snake. Get there all swaety and panting like a dog. Now, you bag a 3.7m angry black mamba and stuff him in your little baggie and strap it onto your back (very safe).
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis

Postby froot » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:07 pm

Global warming is not as big a problem as water availability. The warmer it gets, the quicker water evapourates and the less time it has to soak into the ground and hydrate the fauna and flora. On a sliding scale, the warmer it gets, the more rain a place would need to maintain the same water usage.
CO2 emissions are being blamed for global warming and this CO2 is accumulating in the atmosphere. Nature uses photosynthesis to break down the CO2 but this can't keep up with current rates of emission. The simplest thing one can do for now is plant as many green plants and trees as possible to help remove CO2 from the atmosphere. As insignificant as it may seem, a collective effort could possibly buy us some time to find other sulutions to energy sources and atmosphere scrubbers.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby mm069 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:51 pm

Froot is right, it would help. But at the same time, one would be encouraged to plant indigenous trees and plants, which are better adapted to using less water...
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -David Herbert Richards Lawrence
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake-5 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:17 am

As long as oil is so popular we are all doomed, there are other alternatives to oil but whilst companys are making billions in profit oil will be a problem
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:09 am

The downside to using biodiesel instead of fossil fuel is that the plants that make the seeds from which the oil is extracted use up so much water that water will not be available for crops so people will begin to starve.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Next

Return to General Discussions