Weekend in near Thabazimbi (DUW)

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Postby Rob » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:36 pm

Sorry yes, Chondrodactylus.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Death-Skull » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:14 pm

snake-5 - "Why do they just not raise the electric fencing by 30cm, its not as if buffalo are going to crawl under it."

This cant be done as the fence aint only designed to keep buff out but also other small game and Wildebeest hav a habit of going under fences also!

I have heard stories of small leopards going under a 30cm high fence but not sure of its truth.
------------"A GUY stands up for HIMSELF -BUT- A MAN stnands up for OTHERS"------------"Si vis pacem, para bellum"------------
Death-Skull
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:43 pm

I seriously doubt 30cm would make a difference to be quite frank.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Death-Skull » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:30 pm

well it does!

I seen a blue wildebeest tear a fence up
------------"A GUY stands up for HIMSELF -BUT- A MAN stnands up for OTHERS"------------"Si vis pacem, para bellum"------------
Death-Skull
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:09 am

I think the reason for low fences is mainly to keep jackal out. Caracal, leopards, etc will easily be able to leap over most fences or climb a tree overhanging the fence. Jackal are scavengers but will try to go for new-borns - especially live stock such as goats and sheep.

@Death-skull: that wildebeest must have had a shocking experience! (Its after 12 so I'm allowed lame jokes)
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Quintin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:12 am

Hi Bush Snake.. i'm not too sure about the mountain... it must be the Krans berge or the Waterberge! I think that speciffic slope is still part of the Marekele national park... Also a great place to spend the day and go for game drives!!

I have also been wondering about the whole tortoise thing... I agree with bushviper that it COULD BE prevented if they really just put a bit of effort in! Its very unfortuanate.. and i'm sure its the same with plenty of other game farms. Perhaps one could approuch AFGRI SA with proposals???

I also watched 50/50 the other day, and they were discussing the defastating effect of ellephant in the Addo National park... and then they also said that there was another "giant" that is starting to have a negative effect, and thats the Leopard Tortoise?????!!!! I never watched the following monday though... Are there too many Leopard tortoises around? can anybody share some light!?

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MV » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:30 am

Dunno about the Leopard tortoises...but BV has got a good overview of how this should work.
the wire in question is called a trip wire...from what I've seen is that the farmers tend to place this wire too far away from the original fence to do justice for all the tortoise, snakes, bushbaby's etc. killings.

The main killer they're trying to keep out are the Caracal...
This wire is normally placed 50-70cm away, 20-30cm high...but all the caracal need to do is step over this fence and walk inbetween till they find a suitable hole.

Placing the wire closer to the fence and lowering the amps on it will make all the difference in the world...remember, they're not trying to keep out elephant or buffalo(for wich the voltage and amps are perfect), they just need to run a second system for the trip wire with lower voltage, lower amps and a slower pulse(they work on a pulse system).

Wow...I'm getting quite into this. LOL
Negative thoughts, creates a negative mind. A negative mind, creates a negative person.
A negative person, creates a negative mood, which spoils the power of positivity...
Making room, for negative thoughts. - The Circle of Negativity by MV
MV
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to General Discussions