Help with hookstick

Here is the place to discuss anything not related to reptiles and does not fall into any other catagories.

Postby Mongoose » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:50 pm

That looks fine.
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby atropos » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:45 pm

Thanks. Can't wait to use it. And thanks to everyone for the advice...
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alexander » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:37 am

It looks good, what i prefer to do is just bend the top of the hook out, as i find it easier to use then, but test around to see what you prefer.
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby atropos » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:54 am

Do you mean to make a curve at the bottom?
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alexander » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:29 pm

Um, just by bending the whole bottom (horizontal part) outwards a bit.
But this is what a prefer, play around with different sticks and rope to find what is best for you. Like i way prefer L snake stick to hooked ones as the handle doesn't get in the way.
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby atropos » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:16 pm

Ok cool. Thanks alex. I'll play around with this one and see. Another thing, at the moment the metal rod is all the way in to the base of the shaft. That may help with strength but will it make it too heavy i wonder. If the golf club part is strong enough i may cut the rod closer to the hook EnD and steel putty it in like that...?
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:40 pm

I have recently made 4 hooks just like your doing. I also used pratley steel and it works like a charm. I have the hook going about 15cm into the golf club. I can actually lift a 12kg weight without problems. Just grind ridges in the rod where your using the pratley. This will help secure it better.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi Guu!

Nice looking snake hook! forgive a metal working idiot for asking... :oops: but where did you eventiually find non-threaded rod, and how did you bend it?

Im also messing around with making my own snake stick, but Im also struggling to find non threaded rods and dont have any fancy tools to work the rod with, about the most usefull thing I have access to is a large vice and thats it! :roll:

P.S. does the pratley steel work well? just worried that it is too brittle to stand a bit of rough handling...

I was advised that I had to braise the rod into the golf club handle for it to be any good, but if the pratley works forget that!

Thanx for your patience in advance! ;)
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby atropos » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:05 pm

Bjorn thanks for the tip will def be lighter that way and gives me extra material to make more. Bernice, i eventually found the rod in pardeneiland. It's an industrial area where i found a little warehouse that dealt in steel for the building trade. The vice would be fine i think. The rod i have is a metre long. I have a steel bracket which has small holes in it. I put the EnD of the rod through one of the holes and with the leverage the rod bent easily, to my pleasant suprise. Start from the tip, bend your hook or whatever so that looking at it you almost have and n shape(or u depending on which way you look at it) then bend the part that will be closest to the shaft and your n should now be turned on it's side and resemble a hook. Try it out. Hope you come right:)
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi,

If anyone is interested I make these on a regular basis of solid aluminium I will be supplying some of the pet stores. I have 3 sizes and a pin stick.

I will post shortly on the for sale section
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby atropos » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:46 pm

Took the plunge. Just ground out the ridges, cut it shorter, layered on the pratleys and shoved it in the hole...with no complaints. Haha. So now i wait to see. Good stuff will let you know how it goes...
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby atropos » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:45 am

So far it seems like it's worked. I happen to have a twelve kilo weight lying around and it didn't seem to have any problems lifting it. Thanks for all the help
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:42 pm

Bernice rather go with aluminium. It is far easier to work with, is lighter to carry around and bends much easier too. You should rather look at using rivets which will make it so much safer. Drill two holes in the shaft and the aluminium and knock a pin in there.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby atropos » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:19 pm

B.V that sounds all good, but finding aluminium rods in cape town aint easy. If anyone knows where i can find some I'll be there like a bear
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby atropos » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:19 pm

B.V that sounds all good, but finding aluminium rods in cape town aint easy. If anyone knows where i can find some I'll be there like a bear
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions