Bites

If it has a pelvis and spurs, you can post about it here.

View Gallery

Re: Bites

Postby Matt Robinson » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:36 am

I agree with whitlipp on the hyperventilating.
Matt Robinson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rosshawkins2812 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:05 am

I beg to differ on the hyperventilating part.

I've been hit by my Afrocks n these came with no associated breathing. The dude would just go into the coil ready to strike n then hit with no sound what so ever.
I've been hit in the face, on the hand n the only marks left is the perfect set of inner n outer rows of teeth marks from both jaws. Not too much bleeding, but on occasion it does bleed relatively freely but for a short while.

My Afrocks do his a lot, but this is purely for show. They hiss n then move off. If he has maybe woken up on the wrong side o the bed then he will strike, but it's more like a head butt, his mouth is closed.

The one chap doesn't hiss at all, he just strikes.

None of my strikes have been feeding response, purely as a deterent. The strikes have however decreased over time, to the point where i just get hissed at n no striking what so ever
rosshawkins2812
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rosshawkins2812 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:27 am

Maybe this one can back up the bite power :-)

rosshawkins2812
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:46 pm

I have my ball python do the heavy breathing as well as my one burmese python hatchling. They'll breath heavily then as soon as you pic them up then they calm down quickly. Still waiting on getting bitten though because a bite from a corn snake shouldn't really be considered a bite, but I know it's likely to happen and happen sooner or later. Sometimes fear is your best friend because it stops you from doing something stupid like irritate a irritated snake thats got more teeth that are as sharp as needles. From what I've seen on some of the posts I say a Retic bite is probably gonna be extremely painful.
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rooikat » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:48 pm

Guy's i wasn't referring it to as Hyperventilating at all .i was only trying to compare it to for example when we people go to the gym and train we breath in a correct manor to get the oxygen to the blood to be able to maintain the strength in the muscle ..it was purely an example i used ..

think about dynamic tension in martial arts and chi breathing ..these forms of breathing can both be used to calm the body or to make it explosive in power ...just an example and that's how in my personal opinion a snake can make its strike more powerful ...and as we know and what has also been mentioned already that there are different types of bites .. i.e . feeding response bites ,warning bites .headbutts .and then also aggression bites all but a few to mention..
and obviously they can differ in power and force ...

all snakes that I've seen that are startled or approached in a fast manor will start to breath fast anyway ..pretty much like us when someone makes us jump we will breath faster for a minute or so ..

just my theory and opinion guys .we all differ in these and i don't take things personally .i like to share things and hear other points of view ,to me this is learning and sharing ...
Give me Nature over Human race anytime ..
rooikat
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ryanvinnroyal » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:48 am

ive been wacked by my bloods numerous amounts of times, none of wich were feeding related but just pissed off...
i was wacked by my adult GTP the other Day and dam, so glad they dont get bigger than what they are...
ryanvinnroyal
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rosshawkins2812 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Hey Rooikat. I hear what you saying, n agree with you. It's not an actual hyperventilating at all. Just a super lung capacity on teh part of the Python.
When I walk around my place n step over my "kids" they just hiss as you've described. Not in any way like hyperventilating at all
rosshawkins2812
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rooikat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:23 am

rosshawkins2812 wrote:Hey Rooikat. I hear what you saying, n agree with you. It's not an actual hyperventilating at all. Just a super lung capacity on teh part of the Python.
When I walk around my place n step over my "kids" they just hiss as you've described. Not in any way like hyperventilating at all

Ye that's right ROSS .that's what i mean ...
Give me Nature over Human race anytime ..
rooikat
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rosshawkins2812 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:56 am

It's very entertaining, as they just hiss the moment I move around, but sometimes they don't hiss at me at all. I can walk right past them n silence
rosshawkins2812
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:52 am

Just to make it clear rooikat, and it can make an interesting descusion too in the sence that which energy system is used and what influences it.When a person gyms(weight training) you use glycolytic pathways namely anaerobic glycolysis... Meaning that you use glucose as a quick energy source. Oxygen does not play a role in this energy system and it does not increase the power or force generated. I think the hissing and puffing is just a warning mechanism like the puffy and my horned adders do. The strikepower and the hissing or heavy breathing have nothing to do with each other.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Pythons and Boas