Keeping Big Boids... How?

If it has a pelvis and spurs, you can post about it here.

View Gallery

Keeping Big Boids... How?

Postby Sabje » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:32 am

Hi all,

I would like to start a discussion about keeping and raising big boids such as Python reticulatus, Python molurus bivittatus, Python Sebae and Boa Constrictor. Yes al 4 of the species are very different but strange enough almost the same in taking care of.

now I don't want a discussion where people can't respect other opinions and start flaming or stuff like that. So keep it nice, and remember a Dutch proverb "there are many roads heading to Rome" meaning something like: there is more than one right way to keep snakes!

So why would I want this discussion? First of all sometimes some methods I read or hear piss me right off! The are so utterly wrong I get murder-like thoughts about those people giving this advice. Second of all there is already a big difference between the European and American way of keeping big boids. Foremost in housing and feeding.

Well the big difference in the housing of big boids is that the Americans stuff them in little(in comparison) cages. for fully grown females of 5M+ the have vision or herptek plastic cages of the largest size. Approximately 200x80x40/60cm (WxDxH) cages. it looks likes these two pictures I took from the internet.

I feel ashamed when I see this. those females have 2 options. lay at the cool side or lay at the warm side. never a chance to fully stretch or crawl around. so in my opinion this is way to small of a cage for this size of snakes. more appropriately housing is done by http://www.Filaretic.com. the house them like this picture below.

So this cage this size that is much better in my opinion. The snake has room to move about and well acting like a snake should be. So as you can see there is quite a bit of difference between the two housings. the American way is small and well you can fit more snakes on x m2 than if you do it like those Germans from filaretic. note that this are extremities. the are Americans who house their big snakes in big cages and Europeans one put them in small cages. but on average you can say that the Americans house them smaller then the Europeans.

A thing many people don't know about the big boids is that the have a huge lung. up to about 1/3 of their body length that lung can be. so by a boid of 3meters the lung can be about 1meter long. and if the can't stretch in their cage there is a chance of a build-up of old stale air and moisture in the very end of the lung. they can only take very deep breaths if the can stretch there body and lung. normally a bit old air or moist aren't dangerous to a snake. But if the can't completely in and exhale for a long time (like cramped up in a small cage) lung problems will originate their in the very end of the lung. and you can't almost never hear or see a cold in the end of a lung. when it finally visibly pops up in the snake for you to detect and treat the damage has been done already unfortunately.

So in my opinion you should keep your big boids housed in a properly sized cage. a little sum always helps me to take the proper size of a cage. I take the length of the average adult snake of that species and make sure my cage has about the same size as 1 depth and 1 width size added up with each other. so a snake of 3 meters I build a cage about 2 meters width and 1 meter depth. 2+1=3 again and that insures that a snake can stretch out over his/her fully length. an other little sum that people make is the diagonal length of the bottom. the diagonal length of the bottom should be about 2/3 of the snake his total length.
so a cage of 200x100cm bottom has a diagonal length of ((Image)(200x200=40000)+(100x100=10000)= (50000√ )223,6) around 225cm that is more than 2/3 of the snakes body length of 300cm. this are not strict rules but more guidelines I find handy to determine the cage size.

well above is no strict science of course. I'm not walking around with a calculator to decide the cage seize for a snake. sometimes and especially when raising them they get a bigger cage when I feel the need to do so. so mostly they start out in a cage with is in the beginning to big and at the end to small. but when they reach adulthood and the biggest grow is out of them, I take a good look how big the can get over the next 4 a 6 years and adjust the final cage to that. so ending up with pretty big cages for big snakes. as example, I planning the final cage for my Sebae Female around 4x1x1m so a 5meter big girl can easy crawl around in there. sure I can fit her in a 2.5x1x1m enclosure if I want to. But that is to small for my personal taste.

but this is my opinion on cage sizes of course. I'd like to know your opinion about this! and please elaborate why you choose to do so! I'm not to stubborn or to old to learn ;)

brings us to feeding.

Way more than often snakes die to young because they where fed way to much. number 1 cause of early death by big boids is overweight and number 2 is respiration problems. or maybe it is the other way around. anyhow these to are close related to each other. Let me elaborate a bit about overweight problems and how they originate by big boids before we get to the feeding part. first of all the big boids grow fast the first 4 years of there life. after 4 years the growing still goes on but not as fast anymore. how hard they grow depends on how much food they get and at what temperatures they can bask. more food means faster grow and high temperatures mean faster digestion of their food.

well in the wild every young snake snatches every eatable organism in his area. every item of food they catch is cheating on death for them at that moment. if they don't eat they will die. if there is not enough food the will die. only the ones who master enough food and dodge enemies will survive to adulthood. so for them out there in the harsh nature is doesn't matter if the just had eaten the day/week before. the next meal can be ages away. so the need the great food-response they have. It is literally eat or be eaten out there.

but when kept in the safe surroundings of a cage there are not such worries for that young snake. there is no one who will hunt them down and eat them or a shortage of prey items(well that's the keeper his task). but for the snakes little mind there is no difference. he still acts on eat of be eaten. and yes we the keepers make great use of that. almost every young hatched/born snake will eat ferociously after their first shed, or even before their first shed. so they are born and fed a few times before the new owner picks his new snake up at the breeder. So you got your young small big boid and yes you want it to let grow to a big boid. so your gonna feed him every week or so a nice fitting prey. maybe even more than one prey at the time. week after week you stuff it with food and :shock: your small boid starts to grow at high speed. but is this good?

well to be honest no! hell no that is so so wrong to say it better. to explain why this is so wrong we take an other look at his family member in the wild again. for example take a Burmese python. when they are born in the wild and go off exploring the big world for food he will not find every week a prey. or even every two weeks. no he finds them at random intervals during time spent on earth. maybe he will eat twice in one week and than not for a month. then he snatches a prey again and 2 weeks later again. and then not for 3 weeks en well then came his lucky week and he found a nest of rats or something. and eats at one time about ten preys. and on and on and on... you get the picture right?

between those feeding moments the snake will digest and grow. it takes an average time of 4 days for the stomach to deteriorate the prey into a processable substance for the bowels. when the prey is in the stomach it only costs energy for the snake to deteriorate. getting his nutritions from the prey happens in the bowels. after about 4 days the stomach passes the deteriorated prey into the bowels. in the bowels the snakes extracts his nutritions/energy from the food. this can take about 2 to 8 weeks. depends on what kind of prey, the warmth of his body and the state of the bowels(resting or already active). all the excessive energy the snakes get from digesting is going to be stored in fat-cells. same as by humans.. if you eat more than you burn on a day then you will get more and more fat-cells in your body.

so the energy that is not used at the moment of digesting gets stored in his body in fat-cells. now the nardy part of this by snakes is that instead of humans they store their fat around the organs first not visible on the outside. by humans it get stored in the belly area, upper legs and arms areas as first. later on if you keep eating to much the fat moves closer and closer to the organs of humans. and by snakes it is the other way around. first the organs get surrounded by fat and after there is no more room there it expands to the outsides of the snake. so around the sides on the back and in the tail. so when you see a fat snake it has a longer lasting problem with excessive feeding.

So the snake is done digesting and took a cr@p to let the waste product out. or sometimes they save their cr@p at the end of the bowels and only defecate once every shedding. depends more on the snake than the species. as example I have boa's who will defecate nicely after 3 weeks of eating and I have boa's who only defecate 4 times a year (they save their sh!t :lol: ). off course is the amount of sh!t coming out those 2 different boa's is a different size. the one that defecates after 3 weeks eating lays a turd the size of a golden retriever (dog)or maybe smaller. and the one that defecates after 3 months or so leave a pile of sh!t that a lion would be jealous of :lol: I mean a big pile of sh!t obviously. after defecation and the indigestion system is fully empty (so no new prey somewhere down the line) the stomach and bowels go in to rest. if it is a large rest they will shrink. sometimes op to 1/10 of size while working. so the snake saves energy on that.

well the everything is empty but the snake has stored his energy in fat-cells. now comes, what I think, one of the most marvellous happenings in the working of the inner snake. in the time of abstinence he will transfer those fat-cells into muscle and mass. this takes a lot of energy off course so they will do it the most work while de body has nothing to do than lay around waiting for the next prey. how hard this is.. well think for yourself.. how hard is it to train your beer-belly into a washboard belly?

so now you know how a boid forms food to fat-cells to muscle. and this is a important thing to know!! because here in lays the big secret to healthy big boids. lets go back to the first year of your new boid. when you feed them week in week out for a year you never gave the snake any chance to transfer fat to muscle. they need their time for that. yes surely your snake has grown an huge amount. but on the inside is more fat than muscle. because of the fast grow rate young boids have you won't see this on the outside. on the outside he looks like a healthy snake but on the inside fat is surrounding every organ. in the second year you keep up your feeding sequence and the snake keeps on growing and growing. on the outside still no problems but in the inside the situation gets worse and worse. after 3 years your animal will be in adulthood and sexually mature. and you start to breed them... if you gave way to much food big chance the won't breed. there is no room for eggs of follicles on the inside because of the fat. if you gave "normal" amount of food they will have smaller clutches because of the fat. and there are more problems on the inside... the liver doesn't work at full capacity because the fat is obstructing the blood vessels and the liver itself. same for the heart and kidneys. the lung can't fully expand anymore so shortage of breath is an issue maybe even worse! still on the outside they look like healthy snakes. and well at the end it is a miracle if the live until there tenth birthday ;)

all this because the snake was constantly busy digesting food and didn't got a chance to transfer fat into muscle and mass. when they hit adulthood they will look like healthy nice looking not to fat but well fed snakes. and after 2 years into adulthood you start to think maybe I should feed a bit less, the get a bit to big. so after 5 years constant feeding and maybe an successfully attempt to breed them they finally get the time to go on a abstinence break and transfer fat to muscle and mass. way to late and they are already overweighted. and well it is way to easy to overfeed a snake and get him fat but it's almost impossible to let a snake lose weight by dieting or abstinence.

but why do people this? well one reason is.. if you let them grow fast there earlier ready to breed. it depends by boids more on weight than on size to breed. and well I can get any boa or big python a year of 2 years earlier to breeding weight than normally stands for the time of growing up. and well in the world of morphs it is always nice to breed as fast as possible. every year it takes longer the offspring sells for less money. and this can go down hard. 3 years ago an albino boa in Europa was around a 1000Euro average. now a days you can get them for 200 to 300Euro's. that is a very big difference ey. so if you had the possibility to breed them a year earlier you got more money for the offspring. so to say it blunt. it is being done pure for the money. and not for the snake his sake or health.

second reason is that people don't know any better. they heard what the breeder did to keep them and the copy it. not knowing that the breeder act's only on self-interest or doesn't know better also. or the listen to shop owners who see more income if a snake is being fed more. just purely trough stupidity and lacking motivation to learn more about their animal these mistakes happen. Don't get me wrong. I'm not accusing someone in particular. just an overall observation of mine.

don't you ask yourself why it's so hard to find a Burmese or Boa older then 10 years old. yes they are out there in our hobby. but rarely. most of them died long before their 10th birthday because of wrong feeding schedules. even snakes that not look obeisant got killed by FLD (fatty liver disease) or other fat related issues. and the worst of it all is... the amount of food given isn't in most cases to much.. but just to frequently.

Give me a young Sebae Boa or Retic and I will get it in a record time on to breeding weight and size. no problem at all. but I will guarantee he/she will not live longer than 10 years maximum. more around 6/7 years.

OK this above is about how not! to feed/raise any big boid in my humble opinion. I know for fact that an healthy boid is given lots of abstinence time while growing up and as an adult. but how do you give them this and still enough food. well again we take a look in nature. if we observe closely we will see that a boid will eat allot in an short period of time and goes in to rest for longer periods of time. once the caught a boa constrictor in the wild. they put a tracking device on the boa... kept it for 4 weeks in a cage without any food. so they're sure he had an empty stomach.the took his weight and length and the released it into the wild and tracked it. for 3 weeks he went back into hiding. then he went on the move. he looked for a hunting spot. found one settled himself and waited for food to come by. after a week he didn't catch anything and went again on the move for the next hunting spot. he stayed on that same spot for around 3 weeks. after those 3 weeks he went back to his hiding place. they caught him again and weight him. in those 3 weeks of hunting he ate about 50% of his own bodyweight in prey. they released him again and after 3 months of hiding he went on the hunt again.

they found a python Sebae in the wild who ate about his own weight in prey at once. the tagged him with a tracking device only to find out he went out hunting again about 11 months later! :shock:

so as you can see.. in the wild they will take lots of food at once and then go in to hiding for a long time. digesting and just converting fat to muscle. so in our little created nature-like world cages and their inhabitant's we should feed almost the same. my way is to give them allot of food in short period of time and keep them abstinent for longer periods. as example I take my Sebae.

in one month/two months I feed them about half there bodyweight in prey. so my Sebae male weights 4 kilo and in 1 month I feed him 2 kilo's (more or less) of food. after this month I wont feed him for about 3 to 4 months. then I do the same again. he should have gain some weight so I feed a bit more this time. and again I wont feed him after that for about 3 to 4 months. by the end of this time it is almost time to start the rain season/cooling period. i give him 1 big prey like a rabbit or chicken. wait about 3 weeks and start to turn down the heat about 10 degrees in 4 weeks time... then 4 weeks of cooling and then 4 weeks warming op again. and well then we start to do it all over again.

in their first year I begin with shorter abstinence periods and gradually build these up in 2 years... we begin with one month between feeding ( and at young age I feed them around there one bodyweight each time) and slowly build it up to longer pauses between feeding. when they are adults I feed them about 120% of their own bodyweight in a year. so if the Sebae weights about 20 kilo at the begin of the season I give him about 24 kilo of food in a year.

now let me here your opinion! yes I know, I wrote al long piece! but if you want to be clear you need to elaborate a bit ;) :lol: :oops:

but what do you people think??

Regards
Sabje
PS. nice fact to know. A Boa constrictor eats about 30 to 50% of his weight at once. Reticulated python about 40 to 50% of his weight. a Burmese python eats about 40 to 60% of his weight and a Sebae python eats up to 100% of his own bodyweight at once.
Big Boids And Fast Elapids.... Got to Love them!!
Sabje
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Keeping Big Boids... How?

Postby warbot » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:10 am

That is alot of reading will read it later!
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby Whitelipp » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:23 am

Sounds good and all but one thing I do not agree with is your theory of fat converting to muscle... Thats like turning water to sugar. Fat can be used as a slow release energy source to help the forming of muscle but can no convert to muscle. So this makes me think how much of this is opinion and how much is fact...
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ryanvinnroyal » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:08 am

i defenately agree on the size of the cages for the well being of the animals.
Here in switzerland the law on all snakes is, the length of the animal is the length cage.
i bought a dozen mixed boa constrictors , not knowing what size was legal for them, i now own a farm and have the huge job of giving my snakes
a 150 sq m barn...... is it worth it at the end of the day well DEFENATELY.
ryanvinnroyal
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sabje » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:37 am

Whitelipp wrote:Sounds good and all but one thing I do not agree with is your theory of fat converting to muscle... Thats like turning water to sugar. Fat can be used as a slow release energy source to help the forming of muscle but can no convert to muscle. So this makes me think how much of this is opinion and how much is fact...

Hi,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. my English is pretty good but to translate all that from the Dutch words in my head to English on the screen is sometimes a bit hard. what you say here is what I mean.

big boids burn/use their fat resources (energy) in order to get the energy/nutritions/building stones (how you want to call it, I really don't know :oops: :-? ) to build up more muscle mass. this results in a more slender squarish snake instead of a more round one.

if you convert something you make it something different than is original state. I meant to say with converting that they use the fat and this fat disappears, and in the place of this burned fat you get muscle back.

pff did I make it any clearer :smt017 ?? anyhow you are right.. tried to say the same only used the wrong words I think. ;) :lol:

ryanvinnroyal wrote:i defenately agree on the size of the cages for the well being of the animals.
Here in switzerland the law on all snakes is, the length of the animal is the length cage.
i bought a dozen mixed boa constrictors , not knowing what size was legal for them, i now own a farm and have the huge job of giving my snakes
a 150 sq m barn...... is it worth it at the end of the day well DEFENATELY.

First of all congrats on your farm and barn! are you going to make it like 1 big greenhouse or are you gonna build lots of enclosures?

and over those laws... well I think you need to look at every different snake species what kind of cage is needed. an arboreal snake of 2 meters has no use in a cage of 2m wide... more suitable will be a cage of 1.5m high and 75cm width. I don't know your precise laws... but it is better than no law at al and finding adults dwarf crocodiles in plastic pre-shaped ponds where the can't even go completely under water or a fully grown Burmese female in a 150x60x60 enclosure.

there are no laws in The Netherlands yet. you can keep everything you want accept native species. ;)

Regards,
Sabje
Sabje
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Charlie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:19 am

@Sabje - I have a young burm, my guess he is about one meter in length, his cage is the right size( for now :) ), now here is my problem, what do you think is the correct feeding pattern for me to feed him. Currently I'm feeding him once a week, which evidently is unhealthy...
Does anybody else have the Hibby Dibby Jeebies?
Charlie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sabje » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:00 am

Charlie wrote:@Sabje - I have a young burm, my guess he is about one meter in length, his cage is the right size( for now :) ), now here is my problem, what do you think is the correct feeding pattern for me to feed him. Currently I'm feeding him once a week, which evidently is unhealthy...

Hi charlie,

First things first... by Burmese make sure the overall temperature in his cage is around 28 degrees minimum at all times. Burms are so sensitive for a cold it is almost creepy!

well if he is around a meter now I guess he is CB09? so around half a year old?

my opinion is this about his feeding pattern.

first don't feed him until he defecates and than wait about two weeks more. so would be around a 4 to 5 weeks you don't need to feed him. watch his behaviour when he starts to crawl around allot checking out al the spaces in his cage, he is starting to get hungry and is looking for a place to set up his ambush-trap. just let him search and wait for 2 weeks or so. don't try to handle him around this time an hungry burm is a snappy burm :lol: . after 2 weeks just feed him about 40 to 50% of his bodyweight in one time or one week.. so if he is around 1 kilo feed him 400 to 500 grams (2 adult rats) in prey (doesn't matter if it is 50 grams more or less it is no rocketscience :lol: ;) ). and just let him digest his food and wait again to he starts to search for food. then do the same... you will see how older he gets the longer it takes for him to actively search for food. and the more you have to feed in a short period of time.

take it from here and learn his behaviour. after 3 feeding-sessions you should see/understand his pattern ;)

good luck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Regards
Sabje!
Sabje
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:16 pm

Good post man.

I wholeheartedly agree on the issue of caging. Never understood why somebody would buy a retic/ burm and pop them in a cupboard/ plastic box. If you have the nuggets for a monster snake, get a monster cage….

I have to say that I disagree on the feeding issue. I do personally do not think that young burms and retics are fed enough IMO. It is always nice to estimate how often baby boids eat in the wild and it could just as well be more often than not. We do not really know.

Fat cannot be transferred into muscle. It is a simple biological impossibility. The myth comes from bodybuilders that bulk/fatten up in the off season and then cut . What actually happens is to build muscle one has to take in more food than is expanded in a day, muscle is then damaged during training and then is re-grown/healed at night while you sleep/ rest. The muscle grows back bigger and stronger. The abundance of food that is stored as fat prevents the breakdown of other muscle groups to heal the damaged ones and serves as fuel for the process . So for somebody who wants to gain muscle mass, having a smooth layer over the top is very beneficial. Some individuals that have taken in way to much roids and not enough schooling decided that they were actually turning their fat directly into muscle-the fear of a wedgy kept nerds from helping them right and thus the myth persisted.

The same thing happens with snakes. There is a scientific paper (I will try and find the link) conducted on water pythons that shows that animals that were hatched in a time of plenty were much better off for the rest of their lives(silver spoon effect) then their counterparts that were hatched in normal circumstances, so there is actually a lot of proof that feeding more in the first year of life is very beneficial, animals that do not experience this time of plenty will feel the lasting effects for the rest of their life. How much a baby python will eat if they were lucky enough to hatch in a rat epidemic would be solely up to conjecture. But if any of my retics were out there they would def do their best to eat every living rat in one night and I would not be surprised if they were feeding every 3 days.
SO I believe that a well fed youngster is much better off than a slow fed youngster.

Weight is usually a problem in animals that are not bred. Animals that are fed on a high intensity schedule need to put all that energy somewhere. Once their growth slows down it should naturally go into breeding. It has been proven time and again that Large (Adult) pythons may feed very infrequently in the wild. Well most adult biods go of feed for 6-7 months in captivity as well during breeding season. And I bet if you fed a captive afrock a 70 kg goat it too would go a long long time till the next meal. Most snakes (especially retics) look like shoe strings once they come out of breeding season/ off eggs.
There are those that do overfeed their animals to the point of obesity and animals like fluffy 3 (bobs huge tiger ) would be a good example IMO. But he himself has said that his intension was to get that animal as large as possible and never wanted to breed her as that slowed her down, thus all her energy went into storage and was never released-this is wrong and it is sad IMO.

Baby pythons(spec burms and retics) should be fed every 5 days @ 25% of body weight. They are then given a rest during shedding. Once they his 18 months you slow it down to once a week and then after their first winter off feed (adulthood) you feed weekly for the 5 months that they are actually eating.

Fatty liver disease is more prevalent in Boas then in Pythons and as a general rule pythons can handle more food than boas
Boas are a diff story and one needs to be a bit slower on food- I won’t say too much on these as I am not really that experienced in their husbandry and can only say what I have picked up from others.

I believe the main reason for the health issues in big snakes are related to caging and exercise. Like all animals they need to exercise to stay healthy. Give them more room, branches to climb and tame them down while they are small so they can have some time outside in warm weather will do you miles of good. We usually have the big snakes out weekly for a long exercise. They can climb and roam freely sometimes for hours. This helps to keep them trim and healthy.

Also, you need to be careful about posting other peoples pics without permission. Jim G (featured in the second pic) was (he passed recently) one of the best know and knowledgeable guys in the retic industry. His 20+ foot tiger (twiggy) was one of the premier retics out there and his work with locals (Jampeas) and overall ability to keep BIG snakes healthy and big for years is without peer. If I know half of what he knew about retics by the time I am done I would have done well.

Cheers
DAN
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Pythons and Boas