Emerald Tree Boa

If it has a pelvis and spurs, you can post about it here.

View Gallery

Emerald Tree Boa

Postby Copperhead1984 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:14 pm

Dear Reptilians,

I hope you are all very well. I am new to this forum of yours and are happy to have stumbled upon it while scrolling the net. I have been keeping snakes (lots of them) since the age of 13. Since High-School I have 'specialized' in pit-vipers due to their sheer beauty. My favorites being a pair of Western-Diamondback Rattlers and a pair of Prairie and Southern Copperheads. I have also had a pair of stunning South American Cantil Snakes, Purple Mangrove Vipers, White-lipped Tree Vipers and a whole range of non-venomous snakes. I really did (and still do) like the pit vipers especially the rattlers.

However, times have changed and I am a married man now going on 33 and my wife disapproves grossly to my keeping of snakes. I have 'eezed' her into a a friendly male Spider Ball Python she named 'Arrow' which is doing very well and is the first large constrictor I am keeping as a pet. It is the only snake I have after maintaining a collection of 35 venomous and non-venomous snakes for almost 7 years. I have no intention of keeping that much ever again as my profession and my time is limited to do housekeeping and maintenance of that magnitude.

I have decided to allow myself a limit of three snakes as 'pets' (ie non-venomous: pit vipers hardly constitute pets) in husbandry and no more. Nr 1 being the Ball Python. I love the Ball Python and take good care of it. I had to decide what I want as Nr 2 and I thought for a while. The first obvious choice was a red-tail boa, which I absolutely love, BUT they get too big. So, I discard that very obtainable and common option based on size. Then I thought about a Brazilian Rainbow Boa, which is beautiful, and probably my third choice.

Then I asked myself: what do I really really really want. What have I wanted since child-hood days when I opened my first snake book as an infant. There can only be one: I really really really want an Emerald Tree Boa. I realise that this is not the 'ideal' first boa to acquire but this is what I really desire. I am also planning on not skimping costs on set-up and professionalism as I want to keep it as a display. So, I am willing to fork out the capital on setting up a very appropriate habitat with the needed humidity, water and light.

I have found the odd 'individual' selling them while googling, but I would much rather gather a proper referral from someone who knows a good breeder. I am hell-bent on searching and finding a juvenile. Even if I have to import one.

Can someone please advise? Could you provide me with a lead to a breeder?

Warm Regards

Johann
Copperhead1984
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Emerald Tree Boa

Postby rolandslf » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:16 am

Welcome to the Family Johann, and it is a family because we have our differences of opinion and minor squabbles here and there, like any family does.
I really enjoyed reading your well written post.

I personally would not go for either the ETB or the BRB at this stage of the game.
My sole reason for this were I in your shoes, is that I would be in the process of introducing my wife to snakes, something she is not too comfortable with, and both these Species are not user friendly so to speak.

Your experience is unquestionable as per your post, but I reckon that you should get species initially that are docile and handleable , as this is what will win your wife over.

Whatever your final choices, I know they will be well looked after.

Please post some pics of your Ball Python.

Cheers
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Copperhead1984 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:20 pm

Hey Roland,

Thanks for the good advice. It is not something that is going to happen overnight. I realise that 'finding' an ETB is easier said than done. I did visit a reptile breeder after work today and did have a look at a BRB and I declined. It is prettier on pictures than in real life. Just my opinion. I know some folks love them. He pointed me towards Amazon Tree Boa's (which I youtube'd and googled) and they seem snappy like crazy. Not quite what I have in mind. Perhaps I'll do some research on Australian Green Tree Pythons. Does anyone here have experience with them? I read that the humidity and husbandry regiment is not as severe as with ETB's?

So, I am not just going to acquire for the sake of acquiring. I am going to keep searching for an ETB and even if it takes many months / years it's OK.

Please enlighten me: why are ETB's so scarce and difficult to find? Is it due to difficulty breeding them or due to lack of expertise and appetite to keep them?

Regards

Johann
Copperhead1984
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Superciliaris » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:15 pm

Mat Van G Breeds them 084 699 2121. I ended up with 2 pairs from another guy which originated from Mat they are nice but personally I would recommend Green Tree Pythons before emeralds as they are much hardier.
Life is the greatest adventure imaginable.
Superciliaris
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Copperhead1984 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:33 pm

Hi Superciliaris,

Thanks for the lead. I will speak to the gentleman and inquire about the possibilities.

Once again thank you

Johann
Copperhead1984
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Superciliaris » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:43 pm

Pleasure !
Life is the greatest adventure imaginable.
Superciliaris
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Pythons and Boas