Which one to choose...?

If it has a pelvis and spurs, you can post about it here.

View Gallery

Which one to choose...?

Postby meester50 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:32 pm

Good day all,

I’m interested in getting a snake, but I have a few questions/problems.

1) I also don’t want just one, I was thinking on getting a pair from the beginning. Is this a good idea? Should I get babies or snakes that are a bit older? What is the best age for the snake to get it? I would like to breed with them one day.

2) Then my wife is not too fond of the idea, so if I decide to get a snake, I would have to keep it in the garage where there isn’t any direct sunlight. Will this be a problem? Can I get a light in the cage? How would I adjust the light according to the seasons?

3) I was thinking on getting either a Ball python or a Boa Constrictor. Some people say the Boa’s are a bit more aggressive than the Ball’s. Which would make a better pet for a beginner, the Ball or the Boa? (If looking at the cage, feeding, hardness of the snake) We have a 7month old baby girl; will there be any hazard for her if I do get a snake?

4) How easy is it to breed Boa’s and Ball’s?

5) Then also the price will have a big impact on my decision.

Could anybody please assist me in this mater?

Thx
c”,)
meester50
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Which one to choose...?

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:50 pm

Hi, Firstly, welcome to the forum!!

1) You can't go wrong with getting a pair, but if you do just get a single snake, females are usually the way to go. Hatchlings are better to get as then you get used to them and they get used to you. Just make sure you buy from a reputable breeder.

2) As long as you can provide the snake with the heat it requires it should not be a problem. If they can see that it's day and night time, they will be fine. They do not need direct sunlight.

3) For a beginner snake I would rather choose a Boa. Ball Pythons are hard to come by. If you do decide on a Ball Python once again, get from a reputable breeder and get a baby. Most adults which are sold are wild caught and they do not do well in captivity. The snake is no direct hazard as long as the children are not left alone with the snake or handle the snake.

4) Ball Pythons are not that easy to breed. They are egg laying which will need incubation of the eggs. Boas are live bearers, and in my opinion easier to breed.

5) You should be able to get Boas for around R500 -R700 depending on when you decide to buy. Baby Ball Pythons were selling for R500 but those were ranched. If you are buying Captive Bred babies you should be looking at about R1000 - 1200 per baby.

Hope this info helps.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby piscivorous » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:55 pm

Hi.

A lot of questions, but I'll try.

1) Two shouldn't be a problem, as long as they're seperate during feeding times. Hatchlings aren't a bad idea, but if you want to breed soon it won't work. They need about three years to mature enough for healthy breeding.

2) Snakes don't benefit from direct sunlight, in fact its a quick way to kill a snake in an enclosure. A light is fine, something in the range of a 25 watt globe. You only need to adjust the "season" for breeding, otherwise keep it on for the same times through the year.

3)Ball pythons tend to be expensive and not the best of feeders always. They also tend to hide alot(if you want something for display). Boa aggression differs from individual to individual, but most aren't snappy at all. I'd suggest boas as a start.

4)Both breed relatively easy, but still a good idea to do alot of research before starting. On this forum there are many threads that can help with that.

5)Boas are definitely cheaper than Ball pythons.

The answers are only brief, but there are many threads on this forum covering your questions.

Hope this helps :D :D :D :D :D :D
piscivorous
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:00 pm

Welcome meester50

Happy to see new interest in this wonderful hobby.

1) If you are looking to breed, get 2 babies. There should be plenty available at the moment. It would be best to get them once they are 4 weeks old, by then they should've eaten at least twice and established themselves.

2) Many people keep their snakes in the garage and it's not a problem if they are caged properly. Snakes don't need sunlight, artificial lighting would be fine. You must be sure about there the snake you are getting comes from because many of them come from tropical climates and need extra heating. There is also no need to adjust the lighting according to the seasons.

3)
Some people say the Boa’s are a bit more aggressive than the Ball’s

You get aggressive boas and agressive ball pythons. In my opinion, Redtail boa constrictors would be the best choice for a first time keeper. They are more forgiving toward climate changes but they do get much bigger than ball pythons. If you do choose a ball python, we will be here if you have any questions. Small children should be monitored with all larger animals be it snakes, dogs, birds, and so on. Boa constrictors won't eat children, don't worry about that. The hazard would be much the same with a dog.

4) Boa Constrictors are easier to breed than ball pythons, no egg incubator needed because they give live birth. Breeding ball pythons would be really rewarding though.

5) Ball pythons are a little more expensive than boa constrictors.

Here's a link you should read through. http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22

If there is any more assistance you may need, we are here to help so please feel free to ask.

Keep us posted with what you decide ;)
Last edited by froot on Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby gmoth » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:41 pm

Everything listed above should give you more than enough info regarding the two. In short they are both relatively hardy snakes and if you get either pair from young and both are eating and healthy, then its down to your own personal prefarence and what your prefer, yes the boa's would be better for breeding, but they do get bigger. The question really is what do you prefer? I love them both and as said once you make your decision make sure you buy from a reputable breeder, and that the snakes are eating well and healthy. Either way they are lovely snakes to keep.
Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned!!!
gmoth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:39 pm

OH! and if you do choose a ball python make sure it is captive bred and ASK TO SEE IT FEED. Check the animal for parasites on it's skin, eyes and mouth. Many, including me, have been taken by people selling imports that are said to be 'captive ranched'. The animals have been kept in unhealthy conditions for long periods of time during transport and this is one of the reasons why they are labeled as 'difficult' animals to keep because of related deaths.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby meester50 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:48 am

Thx guys/girls :D

This helped a lot, and once I got my boa's, I know where to come for help.

Cheers
meester50
SA Reptiles Member

Will this work...?

Postby meester50 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:27 am

Hi Guys,

A couple days ago I posted a question regarding which snake to get for a starter, and thanks to all the people who replied, I’ve decided on a Red Tail Boa.

Now the next step is to setup the cage. I have this idea, but I’m not to sure if it will work. (Please see attached picture).

So now again I have a lot of questions, and if you don’t mind helping out....

I have this wall unit, with a side cabinet on both sides. Now I want to get two baby females and put each one of them in the two cabinets. The dimensions of the cabinets are 40cm x 40cm x 90cm (l x b x h). My plan is to keep them in these cabinets for a year, then move them out to a big cage and then get a male. Will it be possible for one male to impregnate both the females, or will it be best to get two males?

I want to get a branch that will go from the bottom of the cabinet to the top with some astroturf on the bottom. Do you think it will be a good idea to put astroturf on all 3 sides of the cabinet as well, or rather just keep it on the floor?

Also I want to know if I need to get one of those 0.025 (I think) UV lights to help the snakes to produce their own calcium? I was thinking on getting a 20 x 40cm heat pad to cover half of the floor and then put a hide on it, and in the other 20 x 40cm put a water bowl and maybe half way to the top put like a 20 x 40cm shelf for them to lay on.

Would I need to get a heat lamp as well? And if so, where would be the best place to put it? I was thinking on maybe just underneath the shelf. What will be the best way to cover the heat lamp, so the snakes don’t get burned?

Will the TV be a problem for them at night time, with the noise and the light? Will I need to put the light on during the day or will the sunlight coming from the windows be sufficient enough?

If this cabinets won’t work, I was thinking on building a 1m x 60cm x 70cm cage which will need to stand on top of the wall unit containing the TV?

Any other suggestions, or places where I might get a nice big cage for cheap?

Thanks a lot,
Brian
:-?
meester50
SA Reptiles Member

Postby meester50 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:32 am

Sorry guys,

But I don't know how to load a picture....
meester50
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:09 am

It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby froot » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:14 am

No problem. Good decision!
Using a wall unit is fine, as long as you can successfully run it past the wife ;) .
Astroturf on the floor only is adequate. The heating pad should only be about 30-40% of the floor area and that may maintain the required temperature with the need of a heating lamp. Boas do not need UV lamps or even lighting, although I take mine outside into the sunshine for about half an hour every couple of weeks. Pure cheap sunshine is the best. I would just use a flourescent light. The TV won't affect the snakes as long as the volume is not too loud. The more you can minimise vibrations from the sound the better.

With regards to breeding it ia always better to have more than one male mate with a female, but I have had good success with only one male. I personally would go for 2 girls and 1 boy and you can alternate the girls each season so that they each have a season's break from breeding.
froot
Founder Member

Postby froot » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:14 pm

Here's the pic of meester's wall unit.

The sections circled in red would be perfect for tree boas, but not redtail boas. The babies would get lost in there. I would convert the section above the TV instead and you could keep all 3 babies in there for now for about a year. You would then have to make another plan.
froot
Founder Member

Return to Pythons and Boas