Adorable find!

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Adorable find!

Postby Bernice » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:40 am

I was rocked out of my snug, cosy bed at 04:00 (in the morning!) to come and collect this little guy in Proclamation hill :)

Too bluddy early in the morning but worth it to catch my first 'Typhlops'
(P.S. I am using the term Thyphlops VERY loosely.... as I have NO IDEA what its exact ID might be, any body care to guess?...)

here is the little guy, about 17cm long 0.5cm at thickest... all over dark colour that looks chocolate brown in bright light, pink tongue, with a single patch of pale beige-pink coloured scales on the ventral side of the very tip of the tail

Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Adorable find!

Postby Bushviper » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:08 am

Yeah that is a Bibrons blind snake. I had some living in my compost heap for a number of years which we would come across from time to time.

Drop him off at any place nearby that has a thick layer of leaves and soft soil where he can find his invertebrate food.

One more for the "list". Well done.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes