Please help identify

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Please help identify

Postby Ripj4w » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:43 pm

Found this one comfortably baking in the Cape Town summer sun. (Hy het 'n groot tent in my tuin kom opslaan). This is not the first one I've seen in my garden, but the first one I managed to catch - You see, I'm a bang-gat when it comes to spiders and snakes. It took some confidence, kindly donated by Mr.Klipdrift himself, to catch him. Not knowing what I was dealing with I got the old riot suite from 1985, (back in the days when old krokodil was still waving his forefinger around in parlement), out from the pantry attempting to prevent serious bodily harm from this reptiles angry strikes. After half an hour of struggling and sweating I managed to find its hide-out. I pointed my fork at it, he obviously knew he was outnumbered when he saw the four sharp objects pointing in his direction, with a somewhat scared witless knob like me behind the assault, he hoisted the white flag and surrendered. He willingly sailed into the old mayonnaise jar and taraaaa. Is this the wicked witch from the east trying to scare me of my property or is this little reptile something I can let my child touch and play with? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ripj4w
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Please help identify

Postby Ripj4w » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:44 pm

Here's another pic from the bottom. Interesting coulors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ripj4w
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leopardgecko » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Common slug-eater
Collection:
Leopard geckos X2, freckalz,finggy
R.I.P Ground gecko .missi
P.geitje x4 breading pairs x3 hatchlings
leopardgecko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Blet » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Common slugeater. 100% harmless and will never bite...they will quite merrily empty their gut contents out all over you if stressed.
Blet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rabolongo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:07 pm

nice find

have not seen one of them in a really long time. awesome little snakes
1-0-0 Albino Burmese Python
0-1-0 Salmon Red Tailed Boa
1-1-0 Leopard Gecko
0-1-0 American Alligator
rabolongo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:51 pm

LOL
that is a common slugeater (Duberria lutrix). They do not have fangs nor do they bite. They do tend to throw their faeces all over you and thrash their bodies when handled.
Release him again, he is busy getting rid of slugs and snails in your garden
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ripj4w » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:55 pm

LOl to myself - A common slug eater?
There I was, thinking I'm the next Charles Darwin who found a new specie in my back yard. LOL again. Thanks a mill for the quick and prompt replies.

NOW

I have a kid who just loves critters roaming the garden and house. I'm constantly on the lookout to see what she's got hold of. Before I get a heart-attack from the next mystery creature she drags in by it's tail, how and where can I get hold of a booklet identifying spiders I will commonly find in and around the house?

Tx again.
Ripj4w
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:23 pm

kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes