Help id snake please

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Help id snake please

Postby JJward7 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:57 am

Good day everyone can someone please help me identify this snake a lady in the pet shop I bought my iguana from asked me to please take it. I think its a spotted skaapstekker as I'm in the Johannesburg. And I know I cant keep it going to go release it this weekend
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every good story seems to begin with a snake.
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Help id snake please

Postby Primogen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:01 am

Looks like a young Mole snake.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JJward7 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:06 am

Would a mole snake have those distinct markings on it? Or are the different markings due to geographical location
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:08 am

Yes, Looks like a Mole snake, that snake would require a permit for you to keep in Johannesburg, and if it's a wild caught you won't be able to get a permit for it.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JJward7 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:11 am

That is why I said im releasing it this weekend as I know about the laws on snake keeping in south africa
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:17 am

The markings are mostly visible when thay are young as the get older they fade away.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:18 am

JJward7 wrote:That is why I said im releasing it this weekend as I know about the laws on snake keeping in south africa

Yeah I saw that, Glad you rather took it from the Petshop, a lot of them don't know what they're doing. Went into a petshop the other day who wanted to kill a baby brown house snake due to it not eating the apple they tried to give it.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JJward7 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:23 am

Wow ColinWa that's brutal not right at all shame yeah I could see it was not looked after they where not even willing to try help me take it out the tank it was in!! And the rank it was in was flipping discussing I don't know how people can get away with running a pet store like that :evil: it really grates my nuts
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sgmpanza5 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:29 am

Yeah I saw that, Glad you rather took it from the Petshop, a lot of them don't know what they're doing. Went into a petshop the other day who wanted to kill a baby brown house snake due to it not eating the apple they tried to give it.

Tell me you're joking right :D :D :D Why in the world would someone think that snakes eat apples???? But maybe they are justified......coz long ago before I knew anything about snakes, I also caught a baby brown and tried feeding it insects. I released within a few hours. My reasoning was that because it was so tiny, there was no way it could eat a mouse. (Had never seen a pinkie at the time). I know better now..........
sgmpanza5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:32 am

I have had a baby brown house eat crickets, it even contricted them was really weird to watch.
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sgmpanza5 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:56 am

I have had a baby brown house eat crickets, it even contricted them was really weird to watch.

:D :D :D :D :D
sgmpanza5
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes