Black Slugeater

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Black Slugeater

Postby Herper » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:39 am

Has anyone encountered a black slugeater, a couple of years back a mate of mine caught one in Hermanus and I didn't think much about it until now must be the old age ...
anyways it was completely black but more on the matt black side with a black mouth ....
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
Herper
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Black Slugeater

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:24 pm

Nope. It is possible that melanism is expressed in various snakes and some deal with it easier than others.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:23 am

I once found a very dark grey Slug Eater on a farm in Kokstad. Until now I'd never heard of another one.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herper » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:58 pm

Rob wrote:I once found a very dark grey Slug Eater on a farm in Kokstad. Until now I'd never heard of another one.

Oh thats awesome to hear! I regret never taking a picture of it but this really fascinating to hear,if you can recall did it have a vertebral stripe aswell?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
Herper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:49 pm

I didn't photograph the one I saw either and I don't recall seeing a vertebral stripe, though it was many years ago.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herper » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Thank you though, I'm intrested to know if this is just a morph or a new/undiscovered subspecies..
Herper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herper » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:56 pm

Bushviper wrote:Nope. It is possible that melanism is expressed in various snakes and some deal with it easier than others.

Yeah, just recieved an email from Cape Nature seems its just that, thank you you where bang on the money
Herper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby deborah08 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:40 am

Hi

I am looking for a slug eater or 2

I live in cape town, they will live in my garden, have one already, and lots of snails

Thanks
deborah08
SA Reptiles Member

Postby deborah08 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:57 am

Duchessofoban@gmail.com
I live in Zandvlei
deborah08
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes