Keeping Philothamnus

South African snakes commonly known as non-venomous, including the Natal rock python (Python natalensis).

View Gallery

Postby Bushviper » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:11 am

I am pretty sure you could try them on fish or small rodents. Some Philothamnus species take to this very easily.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Lau » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:50 am

Hi all,

This is an old topic I know, but I was hoping you guys could help me.

I just bought a philothamnus hoplogaster and I still need some info on things.

Can you tell me what fishes you are using and what else? The guy who sold it said it would eat insects, but that's not what I see here.

How have you planned your terrarium? substrate/branches/hiding places, etc? Currently it's on earth with moss as the guy said.

Thank you in advance.

Lau
Lau
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Contortrix » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:15 pm

Here's a clip of one of my old Philothamnus macrops eating. Sadly he died a few months ago after 4 years in captivity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35w34rVp8k8

Cheers, Ronny
Contortrix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lau » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi Ronny,

Thanks a lot, that really helps. Sounds very impressive for how long you kept them. (Given earlier posts I imagine 4 years to be old)

I'll soon send some pics too, but I don't dare stressing the snake right now. Tomorrow I'm gonna try feeding some crickets for the first time...

How often did you feed them?

Greetings,
Lau
Lau
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Keeping Philothamnus

Postby Whitelipp » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:58 am

Hey guys.

Well I personally love the Philothamnus semivariegatus also known as the spotted bush snake. But how would you keep them and catching one one in the wild is easy though but how do you keep them alive and get them on to pinks. Getting lizards and geckos in the city is not easy. Any suggestions?
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:35 am

Whitelipp wrote:Hey guys.

Well I personally love the Philothamnus semivariegatus also known as the spotted bush snake. But how would you keep them and catching one one in the wild is easy though but how do you keep them alive and get them on to pinks. Getting lizards and geckos in the city is not easy. Any suggestions?

I have kept bushsnakes/Natal Green Snakes and Green Water Snakes for years even at high school in our science departments we had Spotted bush snakes and Natal Green Snakes , here is Durban in Summer bushsnakes and Natal Green Snakes
are so commmon they are almost a pest hehe.
I found that if you keep these type of snakes in a Full Glass Enclosure they tend to get really stressed out, tend to go up and down the glass
and will rub there noses on the roof of the enclosure i kept mine in a Sliding glass door type Tank with wooden sides and such how ever i also had a enclosure i constructed out of that flysheeting type stuff which didnt have any sides just mesh and i readily used to hang that up
in a tree outside so they got natural sun and what not, although not essential they seemed to enjoy it.

Feeding geckos is by far the best for these guys although i had a large female which i breed twice who would take pinks readily.
And Of course being arboreal they love lots of greenery in their enclosures fresh/alive plants if possible.

Don't know if thats of any help at all just thought id share my expirences with these species.
:)
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Fooble » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:54 am

BushSnake wrote:Hi

Is anyone keeping Philothamnus sp at the moment? If so, are they difficult and what do you feed them? I am really interested in keeping Green Water Snake (P.hoplogaster) / Natal Green Snakes (P.natalensis). Has anyone bred them (i.e. where can I get legal captive bred specimens)?

Bushsnake difficult things with these guys is well especially with the Spotted Bush Snakes the hatchlings are tiny +- 20 soemthing cm but are really slender and i found the only things to feed new borns on were gecko tails :/
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Previous

Return to Indigenous fangless snakes