Forum announcement - EVERYONE be advised!

Website specific announcements.

Re: Forum announcement - EVERYONE be advised!

Postby JPWittstock » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:14 am

BV,
I understand the logistics but if you want to re-edit a post, you would have to delete it first. It then it will appear further down the order which would make the person trying to be clever and re-editing it look like a clown. I understand that this particular website is databased and as such is searchable, but a delete function would not alter that capability.

My only concern is just that I can enter anyone on SA Reptiles username and get every single post he/she has ever made via Google, even the stupid posts or the ones that are riddled with spelling errors or are infactual. This can create negative impressions especially in the eyes of a prospective employer, who I might add use the web a lot more to do background checks than we think.

I am privilaged to be allowed access to SA Reptiles and as such will conform to whatever decisions are made by the powers that be.
Thanks
JP
JPWittstock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Groenslang » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:47 pm

I agree wholehartedly with the administrators! Just let it be known that I am an afrikaans boytjie, so I may (and will) get my grammar and especially my spelling wrong! If I make a mistake somewhere please let me know, the only way in which I can get the spelling right is if someone points it out to me! Im also a newby to the forum but have learnt so much by now it astonishing! Thanx to all the people and administrators for their effort in keeping this forum up to its A-standards!
Groenslang
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:10 pm

I don't think it is so much the spelling as it is sentence structure and punctuation.

If everyone remembers these few things it would already make a huge difference:
* Each new sentence starts with a capital letter, this is the same in English and Afrikaans.
* When referring to yourself, "I" is a capital letter.
* End a sentence with a full stop, don't make a 3 or 4 line post one LONG sentence where if you are done reading it your are out of breath. What also helps is to press Space after a full stop and comma.

If everyone just concentrated on these 3 basic things it would already make a huge difference. Just try, read your post again and make it neat.
The odd spelling mistake here and there is really not the end of the world.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby -cK- » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:06 pm

It also helps to read your own post with the preview function before submitting it. It's surprising how many silly mistakes I catch on my own posts when I do this. Just my 10 sents
-cK-
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ReptileCorner » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:55 am

Just a tip - If you struggle with spelling, use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.
Firefox automatically checks your spelling in every application. It will automatically highlight your mistakes in red.
ReptileCorner
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ReptileCorner » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:57 am

I apologise - I missed page 2. I didn't mean to repeat a post.
ReptileCorner
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:32 am

I only saw this post today so I apologise if I might've been one of the people who haven't been towing the line lately. With response to what Serpy said about his warning, we're all human and we all make mistakes, I've seen a few spelling errors and grammar mistakes from moderators that aren't usually pointed out. Not looking to start a fight, it's just something I thought I would point out.

Anyways, hope you have a good day.
Cheers.
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:47 am

Hustler, as we said, the spelling is not the biggest gripe, it's the lazy posting, where people do not use capital letters at the beginning of a sentence, they use a small i instead of a capital "I" when referring to themselves. Using 2 instead of to or too, using u instead of you. Not using full stops. Those are the things we have a problem with.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Bushviper » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:19 pm

Why using capital in the right place makes such a huge difference:

Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse.." and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse.."

Be aware of these little things.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Pinnacle Geckos » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:25 pm

Nice example there Bushviper ha ha
Pinnacle Geckos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:37 pm

Let me tell you, BV, that is no "little thing"!!
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chantel » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:44 am

Good stuff! I thing all the members can make an effort to use proper grammar, punctuation etc ... it certainly creates a better impression overall. And although I try not to, I do find myself getting annoyed when I see posts typed in "sms mode". It's a bit difficult to take someone's post seriously when it's written in gibberish.
Chantel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:36 am

I have been quiet for a while, have been trying to catch up on all the news but can't help feeling that the "vibe" is different. Am I just out of touch or are a few old-times just away for the Christmas holiday? Miss the friendly banter and witted remarks!
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herp Heaven » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:49 am

[quote="Bushbaby"]Young people should learn to write properly as well. This "new age" of texting, etc is really not good for the future. My daughter finds it really difficult texting me because I complain (and cr@p her out) when she texts in "short".

We cannot be expected to drop our standards of the board because they want to use their "lingo".[/quote]

I a new on this site and I am sure I have not capitalised some of my "i" here in the forum. I know that some people get completely unset by not using a capital "I" as a pronoun, but i have to voice my opion and say that I do not agree that this is a sign of laziness. In my opinion when you are asking advice and talking to people on a site like this you would like to be treated as a friend of the person who´s response you seek. When I am writing an email to a friend, no matter the age of the friend I do no expect the person to be so critical. I completely understand your point of view Bushbaby, but I feel that while we decide to create a better forum here, we also need to focus our attention more wisely. I dont feel that someone from Germany or Russia for example, would be upset when using a online translater, and this is such a small online community that if we are not considering ourselves to be friends, then why are we asking each other for advice?

I agree to post my posts and replies with the best grammer and spelling I can from now on, but I disagree with the concept of us people trying to be as uptight as possible! We are here to build connections and befriend people! I refuse to be upset with good convesation!
Herp Heaven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herp Heaven » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:06 am

I must appologise with my spelling mistakes! This is not sign of ignorance or laziness. My Computer is in Spanish but my Keyboard is in English. This makes it very hard and confusing to write in any language because nothing corresponds! Thank you.
Herp Heaven
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Forum announcements