My 'new' beardie, pics and a question or two!

My 'new' beardie, pics and a question or two!

Postby jedimastersa » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:48 pm

Meet the latest addition to my 'collection' - My collection consists of two Leos and now this guy! :lol: I bought him and the cage on Saturday. Apparently he is close to 2 years old!

Here is another after a bit of setup in the cage, nothing to fancy yet. Would like to do more though!

(Took these with my phone, sorry about the odd sizes.)

I have been instructed to name him "Toothless" :-D . I am very excited about this guy and can't wait to get home to check what he is up to!

Two questions from a Beardie noob! From the pics you see there floor of the cage is covered with industrial tile/slasto...? Should there be something else in there for him, something softer?

I know with my Leo's I have moss in the cage that I keep moist for humidity, do Beardie's require something similar?

Hope to post some more pictures soon!
Do or do not, there is no try! - Master Yoda
jedimastersa
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My 'new' beardie, pics and a question or two!

Postby Slingshot » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:39 pm

The tiles are good, I've got sandstone tiles in mine. A bit tricky to clean properly, but otherwise perfect.
No need for moss, as they don't need much humidity. Just mist him with a spray bottle once or twice a day. I spray mine after meals in the morning and evening.
He looks a bit stressed (circular markings on belly) but that's normal after a move. Give him some peace and quiet for a few days to settle in, and he'll be a happy chap. He's a good-looking fellow.
Do you know his lighting and heat requirements? There's some good info here:
www.beardeddragons.co.za
Slingshot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jedimastersa » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the advice!

Yeah I think I would be a little stressed out as well. New cage setup etc. So I will definitely leave him be for a few days. What I am glad about is that he is eating! He chowed down a few meal worms yesterday, but will try keep him on crickets as that what he is used to! (I thought those where natural markings. :oops: )

Done quite a bit of reading up about them since I got him on Saturday.

Yes I am aware of the heating and lighting requirements. He has a 'Sun Spot' light for his basking area and a UV light. I have read that I can leave them on for up to 14 hours a day, then turn them off at night. Not sure if he needs a night light or not. Actually going to get a thermometer for him today, as I accidently bought a hygrometer yesterday :oops: , so I will be able to see the temps of his cage!
jedimastersa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:34 pm

He's a handsome fellow. Nice colouring as well. He should get used to his new home quite easily but he looks a bit skinny. Or maybe my lot are just plain fat!

I would put newspaper on top of the tile for easy cleaning as well. Also my guys eat at least 10 to 15 crickets each every day. I also give them lots of salad and a big water bowl to swim (and poop) in! My big male doesn't eat so many crickets but he really tucks into his salad which I fill up twice a day. He does love meal worms and especially superworms though, but I limit those. The ladies all have really good appetites and have no trouble devouring at least 30 mealworms each. They also love their salads. I give them a really big range of vegies - cabbage, carrots, ocra, marrows, butternut, squashes, mulberry leaves, parsley (which they love), sweetcorn, peas, tomatoes, sweetpeppers, beans and narstursium flowers. I use at least 5 types of vegies per salad. I also dust insects well with calcium powder.

Good luck with your new baby. Let us know how he is doing.

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamcode » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:27 pm

Sorry to hijack the post: Marion, if I were a beardie, I’d want you for a caretaker!
chamcode
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slingshot » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:20 pm

Beardie or not, I would like to eat at Marion's place every night. Sounds like top cuisine!
Slingshot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks guys. If my babies don't have good appetites I panic!! Even my cats weigh over 5 kg each. They're not really fat just very big boys!! The same with my beardie breeding pair. Both almost 500 grams and nicely rounded. You should see Lizzie when she's gravid!!!

However, we won't go anywhere near whether I'm fat or not!! Love the internet!! I'm of the firm opinion that if you can't feed your pets properly then you shouldn't have any! They rely exclusively on their owners for food and comfort and it's a serious responsibility. But you guys are right - the pets eat before I do!!! I can do without if necessary, they can't. I freak when someone doesn't consider their pets' needs first and have on more than one occasion almost come to blows with some stupid idiot that leave the dog in the car while shopping!!

Sorry but I can't stand cruelty in any shape or form and am not afraid to tackle someone that doesn't care.

OK I'm off my soapbox now - Jedimastersa has a nice looking lizard and he seems pretty lively - like the way he stands upright! Good luck with him. I know that if there are any problems everyone on sareptiles.co.za will try to help. It's great to have them as a backup.

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jedimastersa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:37 pm

Hehe! Thanks Marion! I would agree with Slingshot though! Got space for me there!? :P But on a serious note I agree with you!

He seems a little more at home today and has been exploring the new cage setup! I fed him some mealworms again last night and he ate almost 6 or so before he filled up and became uninterested in them, I made sure to leave some lettuce and grated carrots for him which he seemed to enjoy. Today though he seemed a little less hungry and only ate 3 crickets but his veg I gave him this morning had almost been finished, so guess he is settling in nicely!
jedimastersa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slingshot » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:23 pm

From what I've read, lettuce is not really good for them. Here's some food options:
viewtopic.php?t=6722
Slingshot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby crazyerick » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Handsome little fellow, lettuce is an absolute no-no, causes diarrhea and death! Spinach also not good, hibiscus flowers, leaves good! Butternut also good. Youngsters love their crickets more than salad and when they get older they will move to more salad. But always keep greens in the enclosure even if he does not eat it.

Also give him a bath once or twice a week, helps keep their number 2s regular and avoid impaction.
crazyerick
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Marion wrote:They also love their salads. I give them a really big range of vegies - cabbage, carrots, ocra, marrows, butternut, squashes, mulberry leaves, parsley (which they love), sweetcorn, peas, tomatoes, sweetpeppers, beans and narstursium flowers. I use at least 5 types of vegies per salad. I also dust insects well with calcium powder.

Good luck with your new baby. Let us know how he is doing.

Marion

I'm sure you're babies are very well looked after, (I've read a few of your posts) but just thought I would mention these few veggies.
Cabbage - Should be fed in moderation if at all because if binds calcium
Sweetcorn - Corn doesn't digest well and isn't that nutritious.
Tomatoes - Very high acid content and veggies of the nightshade family is not advised for beardies.

The rest sounds fantastic and they must really enjoy the wide selection.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)