Forum so quiet!?!?!?

Forum so quiet!?!?!?

Postby rolandrau » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:53 am

So everyone's beardies must be healthy and loving life cause dam this forum has been quiet lately :-)

Good news i guess.....

Skilly has finally decided that he no longer wants to brumate, but having said that has a special taste for
mealworms only now and kind of ignores the crickets. While squirmy still eats anything that moves and
has long since out grown skilly. Guess his sleeping didnt pay off ....
rolandrau
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Forum so quiet!?!?!?

Postby Smeegle » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:06 am

Also noticed it's been quiet of late. My theory is that many are too scared to post anything for fear of abuse :)
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:27 am

Been very quiet...
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Superciliaris » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:44 am

It is windy by my house today.
Life is the greatest adventure imaginable.
Superciliaris
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:59 am

Smeegle wrote:Also noticed it's been quiet of late. My theory is that many are too scared to post anything for fear of abuse :)

I beg to differ... I do think the forum is quiet yes but the knowledgeable people are the quiet ones...
The reason for that is the bickering and the endless posts of "My beardie is sick" and "My corn snake lost its tail" and "My snake flickers its tongue"
annoys the older members(Old as in on the forum for a long time) and that's why they don't even log on as often as they use to...
So it has nothing to do with the abuse at all. Its because of the cr@p you need to read through that people write to get to the interesting and important stuff.

The thing that admin fights for is being lost. The quality of the forum is being compromised by people that want to learn but not willing to take a step back and learn...
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:31 am

I don't think it's been quiet, there are always people browsing; just because they don't comment doesn't mean they aren't reading it. For instance I am studying at the moment so don't have the time to comment as much.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:19 pm

Whitelipp wrote:
Smeegle wrote:Also noticed it's been quiet of late. My theory is that many are too scared to post anything for fear of abuse :)

I beg to differ... I do think the forum is quiet yes but the knowledgeable people are the quiet ones...
The reason for that is the bickering and the endless posts of "My beardie is sick" and "My corn snake lost its tail" and "My snake flickers its tongue"
annoys the older members(Old as in on the forum for a long time) and that's why they don't even log on as often as they use to...
So it has nothing to do with the abuse at all. Its because of the cr@p you need to read through that people write to get to the interesting and important stuff.

The thing that admin fights for is being lost. The quality of the forum is being compromised by people that want to learn but not willing to take a step back and learn...

I could not agree more, when I log in, and all I see is the same thing over and over, it discourages me to try find the interesting posts amongst them.
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:46 pm

mgiddings wrote:
Whitelipp wrote:

I could not agree more, when I log in, and all I see is the same thing over and over, it discourages me to try find the interesting posts amongst them.

And that is why there are no posts that are of any value (apparently), people thinking they are too good for this forum or whatever other reason because there are other people asking questions that might not be up to their standards.
The sooner people realise that there will always be people registering for the first time and asking a "stupid" question or 3 before they get to know how this forum works, the sooner will this forum be great again. The "old" people as Whitelipp calls them are the ones that will make this forum good and interesting again, I see them online very often even if they think they hide their status from others. So there is still some interest making them come back but unfortunately, with that mentality there won't be any interesting posts.
Also, go and have a look on Facebook and see how many interesting "posts" are now suddenly being made there but also just how many stupid questions are asked there. These stupid questions get up to 21 responses, so I guess they are only stupid when they are asked here?
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Fooble » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:56 pm

Posts like this make this forum make me want to just collect corn snakes.
Because more people put effort into replying to these then actually make informative or interesting posts.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Smeegle » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:12 pm

Fooble wrote:Posts like this make this forum make me want to just collect corn snakes.
Because more people put effort into replying to these then actually make informative or interesting posts.

My point exactly.

People are just waiting for someone to post something stupid like I did, and then the thread just grows and grows...
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:15 pm

Whitelipp wrote:"My beardie is sick"...

As irritating this kind of thing is to you and the other "older members", maybe the poor guy is just really worried about his sick beardie and is genuinely seeking help?

And please don't suggest that he uses the search function on the site because it is not user friendly at all.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:21 pm

Smeegle wrote:
Whitelipp wrote:"My beardie is sick"...

As irritating this kind of thing is to you and the other "older members", maybe the poor guy is just really worried about his sick beardie and is genuinely seeking help?

And please don't suggest that he uses the search function on the site because it is not user friendly at all.

It was just an example smeegle...
But I hear what Mitone says... I log on every now and again to check classifieds and maybe there is something nice to read and participate in... I dont see myself as an old member I am fairly new but I know my place on the forum... Speak when you think you can add something, speak when you are spoken to and shut up if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:25 pm

Whitelipp wrote:Speak when you think you can add something, speak when you are spoken to and shut up if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

I would like to nominate this comment as the most honest and valuable thing ever posted on SA Reptiles!

Well said :)
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:10 pm

I echo all the sentiments above, but what we have to force ourselves to remember is that Corns and Beardies are the bread and butter of the hobby!

Yes, they are common, yes they are cheap, yes they are boring (to me at least ;) ), but we all started there and from there we have grown and leant. For that matter, some people don’t want to move on from Corns and Beardies as that is what they like, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Everybody doesn’t have the knowledge or funds to keep Mexican Jumping Vipers, Rough-scaled Pythons etc. or the privilege to stay in a province where we can catch a nice indigenous snake and keep it. So some are forced to settle for Corns.

I often get really bummed about the content of the forum, but do us all a favour; go and have a look at your first 50 posts and then see where you started. I bet 90% of us started right where these guys are which we are complaining about right now.

All of us are custodians of the future of this hobby and if we shoot guys down keeping Corns or Beardies, we are sabotaging our own future as they will be no one to buy your hatchlings and no youngsters to come up with new ideas.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Wolf777 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Great comment Westley, 100% true.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)