Infra red lamps???

Infra red lamps???

Postby DeanKoupe » Mon May 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Hey all

I have been doing some research on night time heating elements for reptiles, but especially for my baby bearded dragon, and I have seen some positive and negative opinions on infra red lighting.

Anyone know if they are okay to use, or should I rather get a black/purple globe for night time heating?

Thanks.
Dean
DeanKoupe
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Infra red lamps???

Postby Qwerty » Mon May 07, 2012 3:58 pm

I would stay away from IR and moon glow lamps as they are no more reliable than normal light bulbs. Rather use ceramic heat emiters as they last forever. I've used up four heating lights in the space of six months which is expensive to replace. I've now been using four cramic heat emiters for 3+ years with no problems. The heat emiters will come out cheaper in the long run.
Qwerty
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Mon May 07, 2012 4:52 pm

Heat emitters dont work lekker. I have been using one aswell for the past few years. The heat doesn't get down to the bottom of the cage. It doesn't create a basking spot as a light does. So I would say if you need a basking spot lights are the best. To raise ambient temps heat emitters work about 60%..
Meaning that it causes the temps in the upper 1/3 of the tank to reach 32 odd degrees but the lower ambient temps stay around 24.
But yes if you look at saving money buy a heat emitter if you looking at efficiency and effectiveness buy a infra red.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby DeanKoupe » Tue May 08, 2012 8:09 am

My main concern is the effect of infra red lamps on the reptiles eyes, I have read some people saying that research has proven infra red lighting to be harmful to reptiles' eyes???
DeanKoupe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gsouth » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:34 pm

I would also like to know if this is true as I have been wondering about getting an IR Lamp but have found those same comments on the net?
gsouth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rico » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi ,

I have used only moonlight bulbs. They work great and there is not much "light" output. I have also been through a few of these lights as the "cheaper versions" die off quickly (I replaced 2 within a month). But after I bought the exo terra 50w moonlight I have not had a problem. It also keeps my viv (1.2m X 0.6m X 0.5m) a comfortable 16-20 deg range during winter , which is perfect for BD's.

Just my experience...
rico
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)