Human Cruelty - How SA pet shops kill reptiles

Human Cruelty - How SA pet shops kill reptiles

Postby wildheart » Thu May 02, 2013 10:23 am

On the 30th of March I went to Snakes n More to pick up rats, I usually just go in and get what I want and get out without looking inside the cages. However on this particular day it was very busy and I had to wait for service which prompted me to look at the cages directly next to me. Stuck in tiny cages were a red iguana and above it was a green iguana without proper heat, no humidity and no UVB light. There was another cage above them so I stood on my toes and looked in. There laid a bearded dragon in sand, head almost buried in it and covered with crickets. When I looked closer I saw that this bearded dragon was just skin and bone and had no UVB light and a very week household globe. I asked the employees; "What is going on here?" Nobody answered. So I got loud and angry, something they could not afford with a shop full of customers. The guy then said: "Oh, we are waiting for him to die", said with absolutely no emotion as if he spoke about an object. "WHAT?!? Customers heard that loud and clear although it was not my intention, I was so shocked, still am. "What do you mean you are waiting for him to die?" Him: "We had him at Dr. Shabeer the best vet in SA and HE said that the beardie is too far gone so we must just leave him to die". Then I blew up! "Dont bloody lie to me man, Shabeer will NEVER say that! He would have euthanized him!" The guy just started stepping around, everybody looking and I am blowing fire. Then he said to me: "We give him calcium." Me: "What the hell is he suppose to do with calcium without a UVB light idiot???" I told him that I am taking the bearded dragon home, you cant just leave an animal to die! All of a sudden all the employees cared, "He is not for sale". "I dont want to buy him I want save his life!" I said. "No but you MUST pay for him because we fed him". OH MY SOUL! "You are SUPPOSE to feed him IDIOT!" I had to pay a R150.00 which I did.

The new trend is that the lizards do not get UVB nor proper heating to safe on costs, if they are not bought while babies then they just leave them to waste away.

I took the bearded dragon to Dr. Shabeer and told him that the employees said that he said that they must leave him to die. Dr. Shabeer was of course upset about this and went to the shop and took the 2 iguanas and told them to fix the gecko cages - what a hero!

Unfortunately it was too late for this bearded dragon, due to incorrect heat his body stated wasting away, he couldn't digest any food. There was nothing else wrong with him, no parasites or any disease the cause of his ultimate organ failure was because Snakes n More chose to safe money.

I dont know how to post a video up on your board but here you can see in what shape this bearded dragon was and everything he went through before he finally died on the 28th of April due to cruelty!

http://youtu.be/Bxg-HGfbVs0
wildheart
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Human Cruelty - How SA pet shops kill reptiles

Postby ColinWa » Thu May 02, 2013 10:52 am

Well, I'm a regular there, I buy my feeders there. They've definitely lost me as a customer. This is really disgusting and sad. Thank you for making the poor guy's life, or what was left of it, a bit better.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun P » Thu May 02, 2013 11:02 am

Had a look at the vid, this sickens me. Really, what is wrong with these people. I see alot of pet shops selling animals that they know absolutely nothing about. There should be inspections at all petshops, which would stop many animals from suffering.
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scar69 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:34 am

Wow...

I have never ever seen a beardie battle to catch its own food like that... That right there shows the poor condition that this poor animal was in...
Snakes and More Pathetic :smt021 ... I hope one of you #%$@#*& see this post! :smt013
Its Putrid, to do business like this, you should be ashamed of yourselves...
Wildheart respect for doing what you could... You did at th eleast give this animal a 2nd chance...

Very Very Sad! :smt011
Akshar Sookraj

"Use Your Enemy's Hand To Catch A Snake"
Scar69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby demigod06 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:38 am

HOW DO YOU HAVE A PET SHOP IF YOU DON'T KNOW S&%# ABOUT THE ANIMALS??!! I'll never support those bastards ever again. I am so infuriated, i want to lock them up in a cold dirty room and leave them there, never to see sunlight again.
Its really disgusting.
demigod06
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Thu May 02, 2013 11:39 am

The video made me cry. I feel so bad for animals that end up like that...
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Thu May 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Wow that is shocking. Sadly it seems this is pretty common place with many pet stores. I would really enjoy seeing a response from the store on this one! Thank you for doing what you could for the beardie, I’m sure it was appreciated.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Warren Klein » Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 pm

This is very upsetting especially because this extremely poor condition was the result of months of neglect and didn’t just happen overnight.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wildheart » Thu May 02, 2013 12:37 pm

I still cry about him, it really tore my heart out watching him everyday. Image He had such a strong will to live, he did not want to die! He WANTED to eat and drink and did his very best to get those food down although it just came straight out with diarrhea. The probiotics fixed that but he still could not digest his food because his body completely lost the ability to heat up properly. I then got an infrared light and a Solar Glo on him that heated him up internally and he started to digest his food, I had to get the basking spot at 53C! He weighed 115 grams when I found him and went up in a month to 180 grams. He was loaded with bad bacteria that smelled HORRIBLE, we got that fixed with soya yogurt from Woolworths that contains Howaru Bifido (HN019). It was really going so well, he even started running 3 to 4 steps! Unfortunately the months maybe even years of neglect took a price on his kidneys and his heart. Image

The iguanas that Dr. Shabeer took are doing good, thank heavens we were not too late for them and how honorable of him to go there and take them. I have the deepest respect for Dr. Shabeer.
wildheart
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Thu May 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Really sorry to hear, but in the end he spent his last days being spoilt rotten and taken good care of. Have you reported this to the SPCA?
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wildheart » Thu May 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Thank you. Yes I did report them but it seems like it is a very slow process.
wildheart
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Thu May 02, 2013 6:33 pm

That's a really sad story, poor lizard.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 pm

The topic, how SA pet shops kill animals, is uncalled for. I know that there are a few pet stores that will find this a little unfair or inappropriate. It is sad to see a animal to suffer, they could've tried something. Most of the times it's not the shops fault it's the staff that's a bunch of idiots. It's good to intervene and show the people the correct way of doing things, but just to tell someone you're taking it isn't the way to go. If someone came to me and told me you're going to confiscate it, trust me your family is going to have to visit you in jail (or at least the holding sells). I know there was a few times at our store where there was a sick animal or something similar, actually at the moment there's two, a corn snake and a beardie, one is ours the other is a customer’s animal. They really don't look that good but we gave the beardie a U.V.B, a infra-red light and we feed it by hand the corn is in a enclosure with a heat pad and as an added something , a 2% U.V.B. I looked at them both today, the beardie still look the same but the corn I don't think will pull through. So yes another Sa pet shop killing reptiles. One of the biggest problems is pet stores work with hundreds of animals going out and coming in. You maybe get in 2 snakes a month from a reputable breeder and you hand select them, The pet stores are left with buying from people that just don't want to take care of them anymore and others trying to sell them before they die and he loses cash. Therefore pet stores have a greater chance to get in sick animals. The quarantine facilities also have their losses; the breeders that breed hundreds of animals also have theirs. So sick animals or animals dying is nothing new, it's like an abattoir, feelings have to be kept aside. But yes the way you correct the wrong is by trying, not just waiting for it to die. The N.S.P.C.A has something that they throw at everyone in cases like this: animals have the right to get medical attention, and I agree in a certain extent, but sometimes they do go a bit overboard.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby demigod06 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:15 am

"as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb"
demigod06
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Fri May 03, 2013 8:39 am

Urucone, while the topics heading may be unfair, the content reflects the author’s experience. As a pet shop you should be required to make sure the animals you sell are in good condition, would you buy a vehicle from me if I said, we get in lots of cars and I can’t be responsible for the quality? Definitely not! Why are the pet stores buying animals from people who just want to get rid of them? Are they looking for deals, perhaps? If I run a business, I would make sure I had top quality stock to make sure my customers are happy; at the end of the day happy customers mean successful businesses. Therefore your argument about pet stores being more likely to get sick animals in holds no water. As a pet shop owner, you would assume a passion for animals as a perquisite; feelings will never be “kept aside”. How does the NSPCA go overboard when requiring you to provide your animals with medical attention, I would think that would be the natural thing to do?
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Next

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)