Beardie with Crooked tail.

Beardie with Crooked tail.

Postby gsouth » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi guys.

I got a baby bearded dragon in July of this year, I think he was about a month old when I got him.
I didn't notice it at first (the result of this being my first reptile pet and me being super excited when I went to fetch him at the breeder) but I soon realised his tail was a little crooked, but not alarmingly so.

But since it seems to have gotten slightly more curvy, although I might just be exaggerating, but I am concerned that it might by a sign of MBD.

He seems very healthy, hes still rather small (17cm) and lives in an exo terra Faunarium (460x300x170mm) until Im done building his bigger enclosure.

He eats very well and I give Jurassi Cal calcium suppliment powder daily. He also gets a bath every 2 days and drinks water about every 2nd bath.

I have an under cage heat pad and a 50w ceramic heat emitter with the warm side of his enclosure at about 37-40C and the cool side at about 28-30C.

I also have a ReptiGlo 10.0 UVB light which is on for about 10hours a day although he does not seem to like it, and seems to want to hide from it when its on, when its off he walks around and explores his enclosure, but when its on he just lies in his basking spot and doesn't want to venture any closer to the light(sometimes even hides behind his basking log).

As I said, he seems very healthy and is more than able to keep up his own body weight and run and jump around (even climbing up and down all over my furniture when I let him out).

A friend has suggested that it might just be a birth defect. But i'd still like to get some more opinions.

I've uploaded a few photos so you can see what it looks like, I can only upload 3 though.

Thanx in advanced.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gsouth
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Beardie with Crooked tail.

Postby gsouth » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Here are some more photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gsouth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Inyanga » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:01 am

I wouldnt worry about it man, my first Beardie (still have him) is named "Kink" because of the exagerated twist in the end of his tail caused by a clutch mate mistaking it for a worm when he was very little.
Inyanga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:25 pm

Just make sure he has enough calcium and eats enough insects and he will be fine.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby pogopogona » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:29 pm

The tail got also get kinked from when they're developing inside the egg. Mine has a kinked tail and 2 years on is fine. You may not see them curve their tail up when alert as a result but otherwise it's not really an issue.
pogopogona
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)