SOS Reptile Expo

SOS Reptile Expo

Postby Heinz09 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:19 pm

Well, since I moved to Gauteng, my wife got here and got her few spiders and her collection is slowly growing, I still love boas mainly.

This weekend at the SOS Reptile Expo we decided we want a few beardies, so I got a cage and filled it with a very white sand that the guy recommended, think it was some sort of salt sand ( will check ). Also got a daylight bulb, 35 Watt if I am not mistaken, and it gives off quite a bit of heat. This was basically all I needed. Got some pellets and meal worms for them as well.

They did not quite pay the pellets too much attention, but the moment the one spotted the meal worms, he charged and cleared the ENTIRE bowl, without sharing. spotted the 2nd bowl and cleared that out as well. Each had about 10 meal worms. So he really "enjoyed" his worms.

Today I noticed he puked out some of the worms, and he has a bit of a shake to his legs, after googling it, I saw with not UVB light they have some trouble digesting and can suffer from MBD, so thankfully I had a 10 UVB Exo Terra bulb that I never used, chucked it in over the course of the afternoon and it seems he is doing much better. I also put in a night light 40 Watt.

So any other tips and recommendation you can make? Both of them are still very young, pretty much baby to juvenile, only the 2 of them.
Red Tail Boa 0,0,1
Mexican Red Knee 0,0,1
Trinidad Chevron 0,0,1
Curly Hair 0,0,1
Bearded Dragon 0, 0, 2
Heinz09
SA Reptiles Member

Re: SOS Reptile Expo

Postby Vinzy » Mon May 04, 2015 9:29 am

Also, feed them crickets. Remember to dust the crickets and mealworms with calcium powder before as well.
Vinzy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 04, 2015 4:36 pm

There is a lot of information on keeping bearded dragons on this forum. Just use the search function. He might have just gorged himself and then regurgitated. They do this from time to time. Read up everything you can on the species and make sure your animals are happy with the right conditions.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Heinz09 » Mon May 04, 2015 6:34 pm

Okay, from what I have read on the net so far some of it is very conflicting, even talking to some guys at the expo was very conflicting.

So far it is 2 young one in their big cage, with daylight bulb, exo terra 10 uvb bulb and the 40watt night light, blue one from them as well, today they are both very, very active. They just don't seem to interested in their pellets in the cage or even the grated carrot and potato peel which a few places recommend as well. Think they might be settling in.
Red Tail Boa 0,0,1
Mexican Red Knee 0,0,1
Trinidad Chevron 0,0,1
Curly Hair 0,0,1
Bearded Dragon 0, 0, 2
Heinz09
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Vinzy » Mon May 04, 2015 8:03 pm

They need the UVB their whole life.

My beardie hates veggies and pellets, but loves his crickets and roaches etc.
Vinzy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Heinz09 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:57 am

My crickets are a tad large, the only thing they can eat are a few meal worms i have, how many can I feed those active babies.
Red Tail Boa 0,0,1
Mexican Red Knee 0,0,1
Trinidad Chevron 0,0,1
Curly Hair 0,0,1
Bearded Dragon 0, 0, 2
Heinz09
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Inyanga » Wed May 06, 2015 12:13 pm

I would'nt feed potato peel, if the peel turns green or has eyes it may be toxic, particularly raw. They also treat the things with chemicals to keep the fungi off, although washing can help.

I've had beardies almost forever, they live well on grated carrot and squash, rocket and a few other leafy greens and dubia and turkistan roaches. They have an outside cage for summer and only need to deal with artificial lighting in winter. I try to take them out as much as possible and dont let them brumate, it seems to help with preventing egg laying!
Inyanga
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)