Where to purchase a good uvb bulb

Where to purchase a good uvb bulb

Postby Keegz08 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:18 pm

Hi
I'm new to posting on forums so please bare with me. I have recently gotten a baby bearded dragon. The lady at the pet store gave me a 5.0 exoterra compact uvb bulb. I did do some research and when I told her that a bearded dragon needs a 10.0 bulb and that compact lights have a bad reputation she assured me it would be fine so I got it. However every thing I read recently says he needs a 10.0 uvb bulb. So I purchased a repti sol 10.0 bulb but this hurt his eyes :cry: ( he refuses to open them.) so I took the bulb out and I'm hoping he gets better. But this still leaves me in need of a uvb bulb. I am looking for a good brand tube light between 45 to 60 cm long. I am a student so if I can get something good at a good price it would be great as I have spent a lot on these useless bulb. I would like to know if there are any reptile shops in Johannesburg that sell a good uvb light (I've read that reptisun is good) at a decent price. Also how often I should be changing this bulb and if there is anything to do to help my little dragons eyes recover. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanx
Keegz08
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Where to purchase a good uvb bulb

Postby Ruan Stander » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:33 am

I haven't kept reptiles with legs for more than seven years, at least not ones that require UV, but you can get the lights at any decent pet store and you will have many to choose from over there. If memory serves me they have to be replaced every six months.
I personally never had issues with compact bulbs, they are much better in my opinion.
If your animal is getting a calcium supplement they will be able to synthesize vitamin D with the UV a bulb provides.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Keegz08 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:11 pm

Thank you for your response. The pet store I got my compact light from gave me a 5.0 light, and I'm not sure if this is sufficient for my bearded dragon. I don't suppose you know if it is? Also thet few stores in my area all stocked "repti sun 10.0" however when I bought one my beardie closed his eyes the first day it was on and the looked a little swollen so I took it out immediately, and for this reason I'm not sure which light is suitable to purchase :(
Keegz08
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:10 pm

I doubt that it would have been the cause of it closing its eyes. I can't say for sure if it is sufficient, but I don't see why it wouldn't be.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Keegz08 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:43 pm

Ok thank you. Do you by any chance know if compact uvb bulbs cause problems in bearded dragons?
Keegz08
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:19 pm

I don't. I can't think of a reason as to why they would.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)