Tall vs Wide...?

Tall vs Wide...?

Postby jedimastersa » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:24 am

Some advice again please?

I've had my beardie for while now, the little guy has really become part of the family.

I have had him in a same viv since I bought him. Its about about 100cm wide, 50cm tall and about 50cm deep on FB the other day my wife showed me that someone was selling a bigger viv for what seemed to be a great price, this how ever is a tall, upstanding unit. It's 2m X 80cm X 80cm. Which I purchased. I think the old owner had iguana's in it.

I have setup this viv for Toothless, gave it a good clean out with some animal friendly disinfectant I purchased from our local vet, some logs to climb up to get from one level to the other etc. All the lighting he needs. I put him in on Sunday afternoon and he went down to the bottom level and did some exploring, and fell asleep on a log. When I got home from work yesterday he was still in the same position. I helped him up to the top level and fed him again, its good that he is eating, and he slept on the top level last night, was in the same spot when I left for work this morning. I am wondering if a tall/high viv is going to be a problem? I know he obviously needs time to adjust but have I maybe made a purchase here based on price alone?

I know beardies like climbing and obstacles, but do they like climbing up or high?

I will try get some pics to post. I think its a really nice viv and just wanted to give him more space to live in....
Do or do not, there is no try! - Master Yoda
jedimastersa
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Tall vs Wide...?

Postby Herper » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:21 pm

I am no expert but it could just be stress related , moving to a new cage/enclosure is a big change , humidity and temp in cages/enclosures can be vast , from what I know about beardies is they prefer a wider cage to a tall one as to my knowledge are ground dwelling lizards and will climb to bask ...
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
Herper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jedimastersa » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:54 am

Thanks Herper! I been doing a lot of reading about this. You are right. Wider would be better, with the tall cage the UV will also struggle to reach the bottom of the cage where he has spent most of his time since I put him in there. They are not tree climbs and ground dwelling as you said.

I stuck him back in his old cage yesterday and he was his old self again.

I am going to "modify" the tall cage to be able to be used a wide cage. Going to take some time but when done will post some pics.
Do or do not, there is no try! - Master Yoda
jedimastersa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herper » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:07 am

jedimastersa wrote:Thanks Herper! I been doing a lot of reading about this. You are right. Wider would be better, with the tall cage the UV will also struggle to reach the bottom of the cage where he has spent most of his time since I put him in there. They are not tree climbs and ground dwelling as you said.

I stuck him back in his old cage yesterday and he was his old self again.

I am going to "modify" the tall cage to be able to be used a wide cage. Going to take some time but when done will post some pics.

Pleasure glad I could help, looking forward to seeing the pics!
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
Herper
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)