Leg injury??

Leg injury??

Postby MonicaWessels » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:58 am

Hi everyone, new to the forum and need some guidance please.

Ok, we have a male beardie, he is 5 years old and are a happy and healthy beardie. On Monday night he was in his garden play pin and when me and my husband went looking for him to take him to his inside enclosure, my husband accidentally stepped on his tail and right back leg. He ran after that and he ate a superworm.

Yesterday afternoon we noticed he is limping a bit on the leg, we gave him a warm bath and checked him out. No swelling or discoloration on tail or leg and he is putting weight on it. We gave him another warm bath this morning, I picked him up and he "clinged" onto me with all 4 legs, he is normally "clingy". He kicked with both his back legs in the bath as well, still no swelling or discoloration this morning. He is also his normal self, no aggression or anything, doesn't pull his leg away when we touch it either. I was thinking if the leg was broken or fractured he wouldn't have been able to use his leg at all, right? So if he got like a bruise or muscle sprain from the trauma how can we treat that and is there something we can give for pain?

He's cage is perfect with lights, heat and humidity, he turns around in his cage as well to lie in different positions. What's your thoughts? Does he's behaviour and symptoms indicate taking him to a vet and getting x-rays done or would that not make a difference if it's only a bruise?
MonicaWessels
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Leg injury??

Postby Pythonodipsas » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:35 am

Hi Monica,

I am no expert on Bearded Dragons, but it sounds like your lizard will be OKAY since he was acting fine 'after' the incident.

If the leg was broken he would not be able to use it, as you say.

I would only panic or act if he is walking or behaving oddly.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)