Deceased Nile crocodiles.

Nile crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles.

View gallery

Deceased Nile crocodiles.

Postby Decland » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:26 am

How might one go about procuring a deceased crocodile in KwaZulu-Natal specifically? I am looking to create a fully articulated crocodile skeleton, and would not dream of gathering one through any cruel means, I'm rather looking for one that sadly met its demise somehow, perhaps at a crocodile farm or zoo. Given the nature of this, I would prefer a relatively small one, but I would be keen to hear what the chances are of getting hold of any. Are there laws involved here? Are there specific steps that are taken when an animal dies? I see other people have had some success with articulating skeletons on this site and it is inspiring, knowing it happened in S.A. Although they were not reptiles. Also to anyone reading this that knows how I might be able to procure other deceased animals for the same purpose, I can do with any and all information on the topic!

Thanks!
Decland
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Deceased Nile crocodiles.

Postby Ruan Stander » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:05 am

I'm not sure about laws involved with this specific species, because protected species for example are illegal to possess dead or alive, or any part of the animal for that matter. I'm sure if you go and talk to someone at a local crocodile farm they would be able to tell you more and most likely be able to provide you with a dead animal.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:24 am

Crocodiles are a protected species so you need to make sure you get receipts for the animal in question. Some of the croc farms have the occasional specimen that dies and then you can get this. The ones that are slaughtered will not make a decent specimen due to injury of the bones/skull.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:37 am

Bushviper, are permits only required for live animals when it comes to protected species then ? Or is a permit or some sort of documentation needed for parts of the dead animal too ? Like a skin for example.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Nope protected species would require a permit as well. You cannot go trade in Rhino horn of cheetah skins but once something like a crocodile has been "processed" then permits are only required when they are exported. Exactly what "processed" means is open to interpretation.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:11 pm

Ah, haha, I see. Thanks
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous chelonians and crocodilians