Male leopard gecko behavior

Male leopard gecko behavior

Postby LordBelgoroth » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:28 am

Hi guys my leo female turns out to be a male! I noticed it because the last few days he was licking his tail base not sure what else to describe it, I have not been able to get a picture yet but I picked him up a few days ago and found the pores, he has been kept with my other gecko for about 5 months she is almost 10 months, he is probably about six . Was wandering if this is normal? Or is it because i got him in with an older female? Would it be ok to keep him with just one female? Thier cage is 1m by 40cm and i got 4 hides, never seen them argue or anything, he always eats after her but usually more and is higher up then her in the cage, but they both sleep in the same hide. I bath my geckos twice a week usually shallow water and just spray them so I don't think its dirt or irratation.
Feistrola Chan Ddreigiau
LordBelgoroth
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Male leopard gecko behavior

Postby Buck Rogers » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:49 am

Male to female is not a problem, if it was male to male i would worry, but why are you giving them ''baths''??
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LordBelgoroth » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:04 am

It started out because they weren't drinking water or to what I could see, but now I guess they used to it and love taking a bath and then run around my room so its our way of socializing i guess :) is it a problem? I take them out every day
Feistrola Chan Ddreigiau
LordBelgoroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pseudogekko » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:32 am

I would say just keep an eye on them, but if you're after any eggs don't count on his sperm being too fertile, it'll be his learning time!! I would just keep an eye out if there was any domination of the female over the male, and just make sure they don't squabble. You seem to have a great enclosure with lots of places for them to hide out so if they did feel threatened they could go and chill out alone. As for baths, they're not a problem just don't let your geckos get too cold. It's easy to think that our Leos don't seem to drink much, but then again I;m sure they drink lots at night when we;re asleep :)
Pseudogekko - Gecko Fanatic!
Pseudogekko
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius)