Potential Gecko owner

Potential Gecko owner

Postby HelloWorld » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi guys

My first post here :) and I would like to answer a very beginner question. I would like to own a gecko of some sort but I have never owned or ever known anyone that has owned a Gecko... What Gecko is good to start with?

I've heard the Leopard Gecko is great and I'm very interested in them, hence the post here. How much do they go for? I know it may be a difficult question to answer because of all the morphs, but I like the darker colours... So any ball park figure would be great. I also like the look of Smooth Knob Tailed Gecko, which out of the two should I go for? I would like to get two Gecko's as well. So what size tank do I need? The equipment I can gather from other posts but if you have any recommendations please do tell.

I am really a complete beginner but I am a keen admirer of this fantastic species, so would anyone please be ever so kind and help me out to start a new hobby which I can be passionate about :D

Thanks in advance
HelloWorld
In loving memory

Re: Potential Gecko owner

Postby HelloWorld » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:56 pm

Also, something I left out... I would like to handle the Gecko, but I have heard that they are not the handling type of creature. How often can I handle them? And what is the most handle friendly Gecko I can get? I don't want to kill my Gecko's with all the love I give them! :-P haha

Thanks again
HelloWorld
In loving memory

Postby Fooble » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:03 pm

Id suggest start off easy like a Leopard Gecko, they are super easy to keep and maintain and are really hardy.
Requiring only a few basics, a moist/wet hide a normal dry hide food water and a heat source.
Prices start from +- R150 to R300 for hatclings then as they get bigger so does the price.

http://www.leopardgecko.com/emcare.html
One of the best ones online
http://www.geckosetc.com/htm/care.htm
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby HelloWorld » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:12 pm

Wow, thanks for the insanely quick reply!
Those links look very informative, I will give it a good read.
Thanks for helping out
HelloWorld
In loving memory

Postby fredsmith » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Yeah, I second Fooble. Leopard gecko's are awesome with only the basics needed. One doesn't have to worry with UV lights as they're nocturnal. They're also very tolerant when it comes to handling. My three year old has had one for over a year now and it's been the perfect tool for teaching "Gentle"...
Our box is a relativly small enclosure 450mm (L) x 250mm (W) x 300mm (H) with a couple places to hide, one with moist spagnum and the other dry, a heat mat beneath the newspaper floor set with a thermostat at 25'C. A flourecent energy saver provides light, but really is only for viewing. Ours cost R150, but I've seen them priced lower, some higher.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HelloWorld » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Thanks fredsmith, all this info is helping greatly. Think I might go for it sooner than I thought... They not as expensive as I thought they would be

How often can they be handled? As in daily? Or does it stress them out too much?

Thanks you all!
HelloWorld
In loving memory

Postby fredsmith » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:25 pm

My daughter takes her one out every couple of days or so. The gecko is quite content to mission around on her shoulder (With supervision of an adult, she is afterall only 3)) for however long she has him out and never seems to get aggitated or stressed out.
Sometimes she forgets, but I like her to get involved with the cleaning and feeding. Kids are never too young to learn a bit of responsibilty...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HelloWorld » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:28 pm

Haha, thats the truth!
Sounds like she is having a world of fun!

Thanks for the posts :D
HelloWorld
In loving memory

Postby HelloWorld » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:41 pm

Another question :) What morph is this (Picture Attached)?
It's most prob my favourite for now.
I know this might be cheeky to ask, but where can I find a couple pictures of some exotic looking Leopard Gecko's?
I will look through more posts on this site though, so not really needed :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HelloWorld
In loving memory

Postby Buck Rogers » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:51 pm

Hyper yellow tangerin, carrot top... I loose track of the names. Find Michelles posts she was the top dawg leo breeder before she immigrated
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi,

Feel free to check this out :

http://www.leopard-gecko.eu/morphs/

They got some cool stuff on there.

To reinterate, Leos are awesome starters and pretty soon you'll want to have more.

Happy herping !
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HelloWorld » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:33 pm

So much great info, thanks for all the help guys

Think I'm sorted for now!

Will keep the forum posted if I get myself a pair of these fantastic little lizards
HelloWorld
In loving memory

Postby Clay » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:12 am

Yeah I've got a Leopard Gecko, really cool little critter and easy to keep. She sleeps/hides during the day, I put a few mealworms and crickets in her bowl every day and check she still has water. And at night I can hear her moving around her tank, eating and exploring.
I wouldn't say she loves been handled, but doesn't mind it, doesnt put up too much of a struggle or anything, and no biting.

I also have a Crested Gecko, this guy loves being out his enclosure!!!
Any chance he gets he's out, running, climbing and jumping around, a really cool critter as well, but yeah they cost quite a lot more than Leopard geckos.
Clay
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HelloWorld » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:36 pm

Sounds awesome! I hope the lizards I get enjoy being out and about.

I've learnt a lot in the passed few days, looking at a new tank setup. Any recommendations on substrate? I've been looking at carpet, but it doesn't look so great. Any tips on getting a good looking tank setup that's also healthy for the Gecko's?
HelloWorld
In loving memory

Postby boaboy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:13 am

Hello HelloWorld!

most gecks are fine with handeling if they are hanndeled from a young age and become used to it, also i find that sertin morphs like to be handled more than others!

With the substrate, for my gecks i used a mixture of sand, potting soil and fine bark chipps which i compacted and my gecks thrived on that and it looked pretty nice,
You could also use tiles as a substrate, i know alot of people use it and it looks good and the geckos do fine on it, its all up to you really, each keeper has his/her own oppinion on what substrate is best to use. Some use newspaper, paper towls, tile, astro, carpet..
1.1 Dwarf Reticulated Python
1.1 Green Tree Python
1.1 Jaguar Carpet Pythons
1.1 Bredli Carpet Pythons
0.1 Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python
0.0.1 Bosc Monitor
0.2 Mexican Red Knee (For Sale)

For something to happen, something must be done!!
boaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius)