Please help sexing my geckos

Please help sexing my geckos

Postby PathogeN » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:48 pm

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm a bit lost when it comes to sexing my own geckos, i know what to look for (namely hemipenal bulges and pre-anal pores on males) but for some reason i can't really tell whether mine are male or female, i can't really see bulges at the base of the tail, and until i took these close up pics i couldn't really see pre-anal pores. But my understanding is both males and females have these pores/pits (correct me if i'm wrong please), but males secrete a waxy substance from these when they reach sexual maturity. From these pics it appears all three of them have pores/pits, so now i'm even more confused.

Here are some pics i took of each of the three leos i have:

Thor (estimated age: 8+ months)

Loki (estimated age: 7+ months)

Freyr (estimated age: 5+ months)

I hope these pics are good enough to sex from, and thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out ;)

Cheers
PathogeN
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Please help sexing my geckos

Postby Fooble » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:57 pm

I'd say,

"Thor" Male

"Loki " Female

"Freyr" Male

Stand Corrected.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby PathogeN » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:16 pm

Thanks Fooble, although (no disrespect intended) i really hope you're wrong... I really wanted to keep all three in my communal setup.

At present i have Thor and Loki in 1 big terrarium, with the smaller Freyr kept separate. Loki (your educated guess female) is very dominant, and although slightly smaller than Thor (your educated guess male) still gives the poor fellow a bit of a rough time on occasions, but mostly at feeding time, so i was thinking Loki might be male and the other two female since they are way more chilled and friendly (although i have read about so called "hot" females).

Anyway thanks again for the help, really appreciate it :)
PathogeN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:23 pm

No problem, when the gecko's are young it's sometimes a little hard to tell.

Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:59 am

I would guess that they are all female. If I had to guess a male I would have gone for Loki. Instead of holding them up when you photograph rather place them on a piece of glass and snap a photo when they are relaxed. If you lift the tail just a little that also helps but it must be straight.

As Fooble said when they are young it is difficult to tell but by a year old you should see prominent hemipenal bulges. Separate them if you can until they all reach maturity (sam size especially) and then make sure what you have before putting them together in a colony. I mix and match between colonies all the time and as long as there are never two males toegther there should not be any aggression.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby hunter1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:19 am

I was also going to say all female....
hunter1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby PathogeN » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:25 am

Sweet thanks guys :)

BV - they were on a piece of glass, i battled like hell to take photos of them from below the kombuis table :P which didnt come out all that badly imho. I tried getting them to move into a nice relaxed position but not one of them was very happy with me snapping them up from their terrariums, and my cats didnt make the matter any easier either.

I know the pics aren't ideal, but i'll try again sometime in future and will take your adivice regarding straightening/lifting the tails into account. Although, i must mention that one of them (Thor) has a somewhat deformed/skew tail - it basically curves like in the picture, so for her/him that will be a bit tricky.

My "uneducated" guess was Loki - male and the other 2 female.

I read that leopard geckos reach sexual maturity at around 9 months, and from what i can tell the two bigger ones (Loki and Thor) are around that age, but i also beleive that it will be a lot easier to tell when they are 1+ years of age.

Thanks again for all the help!
PathogeN
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius)