Dodgey Leopard Gecko [Opinions Wanted!]

Re: Dodgey Leopard Gecko [Opinions Wanted!]

Postby ReptileCorner » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:05 pm

Name and shame.

Please do, because I was about to buy a leo but stopped in my tracks once I read this. I don't want to buy from the same person.
Or even just a PM would be appreciated.
"These Hitlers use the camouflage of science to make money out of animals... so whenever they murder our animals and call it sustainable use, I`ll fight it. Since when has killing a wild animal, eating it or wearing it, ever saved a species?" -Steve Irwin
ReptileCorner
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scavenger » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:11 pm

I know many people on the forum have dealt with this guy including myself, with mixed responses but in my case I ended up spending huge vet fees that still need to be settled on a very sick Aurora snake I received from him(unfortunately the snake passed away). He did though send me new snakes. But it ended up costing me a lot more than intended.
Knowledge talks, wisdom listens
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby balls'n all » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:00 pm

Just an update:

He managed to get hold of me and he was very apologetic and said that his mate, a very well known breeder, was to blame. He has promised to send me 2 new gecko's out of his own stock as his friend claims no responsibility for the geckos being in such bad shape.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and feel it unnecessary to "name and shame".

So in the mean time I'm waiting for the 2 new geckos to arrive tomorrow.
http://www.iherp.com/brandon.btreptiles

"True Happiness is a room full of well fed Chondro's"
balls'n all
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Westley Price » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:15 am

I think the only reason he is so apologetic is that he read this topic and did not want his name mentioned.

I'm glad this whole ordeal is coming to an end and I hope no one else gets caught by this guy.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby dazz » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:17 pm

The reason i'm so apologetic is because we were both made to look like fools,myself for letting a keen buyer down on false information given to me and for believing a top reptile breeder in south africa who is very well known who wanted to get rid of the geckos!he wants nothing to do with refunds on his behalf and i felt it was my duty to deliver healthy stock!which is why out of my own stock i'm giving 2 het for patternless geckos @no charge!But thanks to all the opinions from all of you and just to show that i'm not trying to do anyone in i'll name and shame myself!Hope you guys enjoy this news!
Conservate!
dazz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:13 pm

dazz wrote:The reason i'm so apologetic is because we were both made to look like fools,myself for letting a keen buyer down on false information given to me and for believing a top reptile breeder in south africa who is very well known who wanted to get rid of the geckos!he wants nothing to do with refunds on his behalf and i felt it was my duty to deliver healthy stock!which is why out of my own stock i'm giving 2 het for patternless geckos @no charge!But thanks to all the opinions from all of you and just to show that i'm not trying to do anyone in i'll name and shame myself!Hope you guys enjoy this news!

Too often, we as South Africans are complacent with bad service and merely accept this as part of business today... This is (IMO) slowly seeming to come to an end, as people these days, more than ever, feel they have the right to complain, get their moneys worth and simply put, get what they paid for.
In this instance, where you're (Dazz) replacing the animals with new ones from your own stock (Even though the animals did not originate from you directly, but rather from "a top reptile breeder"), truly stands testament to the kind of person you are and people will notice this.

This story has now turned around and it's my opinion that the breeder in this instance is the one who should be "named & shamed" as he stated before despatch that the animal was in top condition, which it quite clearly wasn't and now also won't refund you.
That is just poor form on the breeders behalf.

Honourable business people in this industry seem few and far between these days and in light of the recent scam artists and unscrupulous "wheeler and dealer" discussions recently on this forum, I commend you.
Well done Dazz, good on you.
my 2c
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpitologica » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:19 pm

About 80% of my collection and all of my leopard gecko's have come from dazz and i have never had any problems at all.Often if you are playing the middle man you don't see what's being sold and you have to take the breeders word for the quality of the animals.I can see how this would come back to bite you in the ass if the breeder isn't honest.
herpitologica
SA Reptiles Member

Postby balls'n all » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:04 pm

I'm more than happy to name the breeder involved. PM me if you want to know.

I don't see any reason why I wont deal with Dazz again in the future.

balls'n all

Postby Westley Price » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:25 am

Dazz, I can only give you one piece of advice: In the future, don't sell animals as the middel man without having a look at them first.

And why would you say the animal is in perfect condition if you have not seen it yourself?

Ag I guess it's lesson learnt for supplier and buyer.

I was very defensive in this post and if it was unwarranted, I apologize, but I too have been done-in in the past and I'm trying to spare other guys a similar outcome.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby balls'n all » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:22 am

@ Westley - I understand your concern. I'm also the kind of guy that makes every effort to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. However this is just, like you say, another lesson learnt for both parties.

I think I'm going to give the other breeder a call :)

balls'n all

Postby Animaniacs » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:37 pm

I'm so sorry for you thats exactly what we dont want in the reptile trade it sends more willing customers
away, not even to mention the poor animal which was obviously not well cared for !!!!! I mean my gecko's
look supersized in comparison to this poor guy.
Animaniacs
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius)