how can i "tame" my leopard gecko???

how can i "tame" my leopard gecko???

Postby BRAD15 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:38 am

Hi guys
I have had 3 leopard geckos but gave 2 away(the two of them came to me docile and tolerant of handling) but I have a female currently who I can pick up but shoots out my hand every chance she gets and tries to avoid me everytime I stick my hand in her enclosure, what is the best way to get her used to being handled? I have had her for a month now,she shows no aggression at all and has never tried to bit, just she's the most skittish animal I have ever came across and from the research I've done I've heard they become more "tame" then most reptiles, so how true is that? So all help will be appreciated :)
BRAD15
SA Reptiles Member

Re: how can i "tame" my leopard gecko???

Postby BRAD15 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:40 am

Sorry forgot to add, I try handle her every second day or so
BRAD15
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:11 am

The only real way is to persevere. Keep the situation calm and try push through.
"Taming" a reptile can take ages, some adjust to being handled relatively quickly, others can take years to build up a trust level. I guess it boils down to th individual character of the animal in question.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:10 am

Make sure her cage opens from the front and not the top. She will see any object coming from above as a threat.

Get her to climb on your hand in the evenings when it is normal for her to move around and not during the day when she wants to sleep.

Put her favourite food on your hand and let her climb on there to get it. Over time she will calm down.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius)