New LEOPARD GECKOS

New LEOPARD GECKOS

Postby hein » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:55 am

My brother and I got my parents interested in reptiles so at the last expo my mom got herself 2 hatchling geckos(or so they say) , What's the correct substate for them? Some people say sand and other say dont on this stage. I told my mom keep them on paper dish towels for the the time being. The problem is that the prey have more places to hide under the dishtowels. Info you get is conflicting so I would like to have the people who have kept them's views.
Stress!! confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living cr@p out of some monkey who really needs it.
hein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Stefan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:45 am

The substrate they have now is the best. All LOOSE substrate is a KILLER. Epecialy corn cob and reptile bark. The rip the organs Open as they go through the body. The others like reptile sand and calci sand is still a killer it takes away their ablity to defecate. All loose sbstrate causes Imapactation. Some people just have more luck than others. Ill try and get som links.
Stefan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby madcow » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:37 am

Paper towels or maybe Reptile carpet.
id Rather have shotty substrate for leo's or no leo's at all !! :D
Pasop vir die skerp kant!!!
madcow
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:33 am

Agreed!! With time your leo's should take prey from your hand, which is really cool, and less chance of anything getting in under the substrate.

I keep mine on newspaper for the time being because I believe it's the safest. I've heard of leos getting impaction from all kinds of things, including paper towels!! Don't ask, I have no idea!!

Remember to give them a calcium supplement as this is very important for the prevention of MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease).
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Gabi » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:16 pm

Yeh know someone who kep theirs on kombuis towels and the gecko ended up getting impaction from eating it. I keep mine on newspaper for the time being as well.
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Gabi
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Spikelet » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:48 pm

I keep mine on slate tiles and I have sealed the edges with a mix of plaster sand and water which makes a solid mix when it dries - works like a charm and the leos love it :)
'We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner' Bilbo Baggins
Spikelet
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius)